Chapter Ten: The Wedding Party

"Who on Middle Earth has told you such tales?"

Anberenien sat beside Lothíriel and chatted happily as they got to know each other. "So why was Elweth so rude about my attendants?"

Lothíriel thought for a moment, then spoke in hushed tones. "Some Gondorians are wary that you have lived around Elves for so long, not to mention you look a little strange to them. Many would feel more comfortable if you were to adopt Gondorian customs."

"Do Gondorians not like Elves then?"

"Some do, my family even has Elf blood. The King is betrothed to an Elven Lady and I hear you are betrothed to an Elven King."

"I am betrothed to the Woodland King of Eryn Lasgallen."

"I've never heard of that. Where is it?" Anberenien explained it was the new name for Mirkwood. "Oh, I've heard the Elves there live in caves. I don't think I would like to spend the rest of my life in a cold, damp cave," replied Lothíriel.

Anberenien was surprised at her words. "The Elven Halls are not damp or cold. They are a royal palace and rather beautiful."

Lothíriel blushed and lowered her head. "Oh, I am sorry, my Lady Princess. I did not mean to offend. I am sure it is lovely." Her voice dropped to a whisper again. "Did the Elf King steal you from your family when you were a little girl? That is another story I've heard."

Anberenien frowned at her. "Certainly not! I was the King's Ward!" And she explained how she came to be found in Mirkwood. "Who on Middle Earth has told you such tales?"

"I would not worry. Most of it is tavern talk. My handmaiden's brother works in the Old Inn on the first tier and is always telling her the gossip. There is even a song, 'The Dúnadan Maiden', lost in the Forest and stolen by the Elf King because he wanted her silver eyes. My father says I shouldn't listen to such songs, but it is only a bit of fun."

Anberenien was most uncomfortable to hear about the song. Why would people make up stories about her? She looked at Thurindaer, who acknowledged her concern with a quiet growl. Turning back to Lothíriel, she could see she looked crestfallen. "I am sorry, my Lady Princess, I have spoken out of turn. I did not mean to offend. King Elessar speaks so highly of you. He says you are brave, strong, and wise. But he never told us how beautiful you are. Your hair, it is magical, and your eyes are like nothing I have ever seen. It's like you're from another world."

Anberenien smiled and blushed. Lothíriel was a sweet young woman and eager to make a good impression. "I think that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me." Lothíriel beamed with delight. Faelnith entered the Solar and reminded Anberenien that she needed to dress for the feast. In the dressing room, a gown in a similar style to Lothíriel's had been laid out for her. It was black, with the white tree embroidered upon it. Anberenien was concerned about how revealing it was. "What of my scars? Must they be revealed for all to see?" Faelnith suggested she wear a white silk kirtle underneath, which covered the scars upon her arms.

The Feast took place in Merethrond The great feasting hall of the King. It was a fast hall of white marble with gold leaf pillars. There were so many hands to shake and smiles to return, that Anberenien felt more like a curiosity than a princess. Many smiled to her face, then whispered behind her back, and she was unsure who was friend or foe. King Elessar introduced her to four halflings. They had been a welcome relief from all the fake smiles and pleasantries. Frodo, she knew to be old Bilbo's nephew, and they spoke at length about him. She learned Frodo had taken Sauron's ring to Mount Doom where it was destroyed, but he declined to speak further on it. There was also Pippin, who was a Knight of Gondor who proudly strutted about in his dress uniform with the other Knights and Merry, whom Eowyn had asked her to pass her personal best wishes to.