Chapter One: Dol Guldur

"It is only his Will that prevents me from taking what your eagle friends took from me, Sweeting."

Thorwen woke with a start as she was jostled back and forth. Unable at first to make sense of where she was, all she knew was that she was alive. "Sister, oh sweet sister, you are recovered at last." Radagast's trembling voice brought her to her senses. Slowly, Thorwen sat up and saw she was in some kind of moving cage covered in a dark cloth. Very little light penetrated her surroundings, but as she grew accustomed to the dimness, Thorwen realised she was in manacles.

At the opposite end of the cage was Radagast. He did not move but sat huddled in the corner. "Aiwendil, where are we? What are we doing here?" asked Thorwen, noticing he too was in manacles. Thorwen closed her eyes and tried to focus her will upon her chains, but darkness clouded her thoughts.

"There is no point in trying, Sweet sister. The enchantments upon these chains diminish our Will."

Thorwen at once realised they were at the mercy of the Temple of Morgoth. "Where have you been? How did they capture you?"

"I went to Fangorn. Olorin found me there and sent me back to Mirkwood. I have been helping heal the Beornings. But during the battle, I got lost in the smoke and that is how they found me." replied Radagast.

Thorwen crawled over to him. "Why have you not tried to escape?" She noticed something was affecting her brother. He was shaking, and his once bright eyes were dull and lifeless. "What have they done to you, Aiwendil? Tell me, this is not like you." The cage came to an abrupt halt, sending them both crashing to the floor.

"Oh, no!" whispered Radagast. He turned from Thorwen and crawled back to his corner. Immediately, a door opened at the other end of the cage and the dim light revealed two priests in black cloaks, both carrying long sticks. Radagast curled up like a baby as Thorwen launched herself at them. But the two men beat her back before restraining her. As Thorwen tried to fight off her assailants, a familiar face appeared in the doorway.

Nuta smiled as she stood with a bowl and flask in her hand. "You are awake sweeting, you must be hungry. We shall soon see to that."

"I would rather starve, Priestess!" Thorwen snarled back at her.

Nuta smirked, but ignored her. Turning to Radagast, she offered him the bowl and flask and he took it readily, quickly devouring its contents."

"What are you doing?" Thorwen called to him. But Radagast ignored her. He dropped the bowl and flask upon the floor and went into a dreamy stupor. Nuta picked up the empty bowl and flask, handing them to an Acolyte standing behind her, who then handed her another flask. She turned her attention to Thorwen, a cruel smile creeping across her disfigured face. Thorwen noticed her eye patch now bore the eye of Sauron upon it. Nuta acknowledged the eye patch, stating it was a blessing from the Great Master himself. "More like a means to keep a watchful eye on you, Nuta," snapped Thorwen.

"And an eye upon you sweeting, till you are by the Great Master's side. Do not fear, I shall not cut you again. It is my solemn duty to ensure you are well cared for before I hand you over to the master. Must not waste a drop of that precious blood of yours." Nuta ordered the priests to hold Thorwen firm as she came closer and knelt before her. "You are looking pale and in need of nourishment, sweeting."

Thorwen closed her mouth and shook her head, but one of the priests clamped her head still while the other struggled to restrain her body. Nuta ordered the acolyte to assist, and soon the three of them held Thorwen firmly. Nuta then forced Thorwen's mouth open and poured the contents of the flask down her throat. She quickly held Thorwen's nose and mouth shut before she could spit out its contents, so was forced to swallow the liquid.