Chapter Thirty Nine: The King's House

"have you heard it again?"

As the Herald finished his proclamation, a large group of people met the company. They were led by a dark haired man wearing a grey tunic with the sceptre of Arnor emblazoned on it and a young woman carrying a baby, her fair haired curls scooped up upon her head. With them was a smartly dressed elderly man, with a chain around his neck and his frizzy haired wife. "I see young Tilly has born her child, at last. She was full to the brim on our last visit," commented Nana to Ada. King Elessar, Queen Arwen and Prince Eldarion all dismounted and went to meet the welcoming party. They exchanged pleasantries, then Ada signalled for the family to follow suit. Legolas, Nínimiel, the twins, and Iorbes all dismounted. The welcoming party bowed low.

"Good to see you again, Mayor Butterbur, Sheriff Gurunam. I see your family is growing," said Ada.

"Oh yes, another grandson, funny how life turns out. Always so wary of the rangers, now I have one as a son in Law, course that all water under the bridge now," said Butterbur smiling awkwardly at Gurunam.

Gurunam smiled, "Allow me to introduce my son, Amdir, almost six months old now."

Nana held the baby's hand. "He's a bonny little fellow, Mistress Matilda. I have my own daughters with me this time. Princess Nínimiel my oldest and my Twins, Princesses Mellessil and Mithlothiel."

"And of course you know my son, Prince Legolas," added Thranduil.

"It is good to see you again, Prince Legolas, only this time in happier circumstances," said Gurunam.

Legolas embraced him, "Indeed I see you have been most fortunate indeed since our last meeting."

Gurunam laughed, "A sheriff's life is much quieter than that of a ranger, it is mostly settling border disputes, keeping law and order and collecting taxes."

"Do you see Borion?" asked Legolas.

"It is Lord Borion these days, he comes but once a year for the collection of taxes. We write to each other often and my family and I occasionally travel up to the city. Be sure to send him my regards when you see him," replied Gurunam.

"It shall be my honour," said Legolas.

Butterbur indicated the large building, covered in flowering window boxes. "The Prancing Pony has been remodelled since you were last here, Your Grace. The Regents and their company will be accommodated there, but we have just opened the newly built King's Hotel, the top rooms of which have been named the Elessar suite in your honour. I hope you will find your stay most comfortable," said Butterbur.

"I am sure we will, thank you. But I should like to dine in the Prancing Pony tonight, for old times' sake," said King Elessar.

Butterbur nodded and called out to the staff waiting outside, "Clear out all the customers. Good King Elessar is dining in the Prancing Pony tonight and we must make ready. My Nephew, Bailey Butterbur and my eldest, his wife, run the Prancing Pony now, two fine boys they have. Just as well after the Hobbits left for the Shire. I can't be in two places at once and being mayor is busy work."

They spent several days in Bree before heading north. First, they made a slight detour along the western road to a Bridge. On the other side of the bridge, Nínimiel noticed some very small people appearing on the other side, cheering loudly for King Elessar. Then a family on a pony and cart containing many tiny children came over the bridge. King Elessar dismounted, kneeled and embraced the father. They spoke at length and King Elessar gave the small man a star brooch similar to the one her mother wore upon her cloak. Queen Arwen also dismounted, and one of the older girls came forth with her mother and gave her a curtsey. Another couple of well dressed small men also came across the bridge and met with King Elessar.