11) Broken?

Author's pov

Sarah went home and freshen up, she had dinner in her office. She didn't wanted to sleep yet so she decided to take some fresh air and went out in the garden.

"Hey... How was your day beautiful?"
She was standing outside when she heard Ace's cheerful voice and turned around to smiled at him.

They sat on chairs in the veranda under peaceful night.
"It was good ace... What about you?..."

"Same... Exciting. Killing and torturing people..."
Ace winked.

Her expressions turned horrified.
"Ace please..."

"Ok ok I am sorry... I was just messing around. Why are you so afraid of violence?..."
he asked curiously.

"Not violence but I have a phobia of blood. I can't look at it___ it's just gross..."
She shivered remembering the same scene and brutal act of Xavier. He was still giving her nightmares.

Ace chuckled.
"The daughter of mafia don and still this kind of phobia... Interesting..."

Sarah sagged down on the chair.
"I didn't know that he was a don... I was with my grandmother in London since childhood. I got into an accident and was in coma for two years and when I woke up they told me that grandmother is no more so my father brought me here. But we never really talked and I was hardly at home so I had no idea. No one really told me about it ..."

Ace looked at her pity.
"Sorry... It must be very messy and disturbing..."
Sarah just gave him small smile.

"I haven't seen you eating in this house since your marriage. It's been two weeks Sarah. Did someone said anything to you. Did Xavier__"

"No... He haven't even seen me yet. I don't want to see him either, I am scared of him ace."
She confessed hesitatingly.

"Why would you be scared of him... He never hurt you, did he ?..."
Ace asked alarmed.

"No but I___"
She paused, thinking she should tell him or not.

"You what Sarah?"
Ace asked.

"I saw him killing someone in the alley, two days before our marriage. I didn't know that I was getting married to him until I saw his face after marriage... I should have seen him, It was biggest mistake of my life..."
She sighed.

Ace looked at her flabbergasted.
"Sarah... Listen to me, Xavier is not a bad man. The man he killed wasn't innocent, he stole our drugs that's why he killed him. We don't kill innocents..."

Sarah chuckled.
"Are you sure you don't kill innocents ace... The drugs and weapons you sell are being used to destroy teenagers and the innocent people..."

"No Sarah... We do not sell our drugs to teenagers, not purposely at least. We have a different clients who demand it. We can only do that much. This is our work and we earn our bread from this. This is what our parents taught us, killing and torturing, selling drugs and weapons and even those things you have no knowledge about. This is how we are Sarah, we weren't lucky enough to get a father like you who kept you away from all this shitty life..."
Ace countered.

"Am I lucky?..."
She blinked back her tears.

"Yes you are lucky... I was thinking that your father is douchebag but I guess he has some humanity left in him. He didn't treated you like trash, he must have wanted to keep you safe that's why he hide you in the London. He didn't caged you in the mansion, instead he let you lead his company. And I am sure he didn't wanted to trade you like this either but your sister must have left him no choice. He needed security for his mafia which he got from Xavier..."
Ace sighed.
"You are lucky Sarah... You don't know how other mafia's treat their wives and daughters. Women has no respect in our world, men only treat them as an object and achievements..."

Sarah gulped the lump in her throat.
Was she really hating her father for all this. Was he really trying to save her from his enemies. May be he didn't wanted to keep her away but he did so he can protect her from his enemies.
Ace was right, he would have caged her in his golden cage but instead he made her CEO and gave her power. May be Sarah was wrong, her father does have a belief in her.

He gave her Everything except love and that's what she wanted the most.

"Ace I don't know how should I feel about everything but I am scared to leave in this mansion. I am terrified by the thought that my husband is a mafia boss and have a habit of killing people over small things. I am scared that he might hurt me too because I am a unwanted wife after all..."
She sucked on breath desperately to control herself from crying, she didn't wanted him to see her vulnerable side.

"You don't have to be scared, you shouldn't. No one will hurt you as you are The Donna and I give you guarantee that Xavier will never put a scratch on you. He is educated man and a wise one, he knows and he thinks rationally. He is not a monster you think he is... He might behave brutal sometimes but you need to understand that that's how he has grown up.  He is broken Sarah..."
Ace tried to make her understand.

"Broken ?..."
She asked confused.

"It's not my place to tell you..."
Ace stood up and started to leave.

Sarah grabbed his wrist to stop him and Ace quickly pulled his hand away, not wanting to see anyone and create a scene, she is his Donna and there are certain limits.
"How can you expect me to accept all this if I don't know anything about him. Please tell me something, not everything but at least something..."
She pleaded and ace sighed.

"Okay but it should stay only between us... You can't tell anyone, specially Xavier. He will kill me..."
Ace warned.

She nodded.
"I promise..."