City Lights

Niki's POV

By the time we finished shopping it was already the afternoon. I still felt bad for making Nani uncomfortable but I would make it up to her. After all she might just be shy.

"Dumbass we're leaving" I didn't even need to turn around to know Konon was yelling at me. I got my stuff and ran towards them.

I saw Nani and Bella had gotten their luggage. Nani was holding the backpack I had gifted her with a lot of care and it made me feel all fluttery inside.

"If you're done staring at Nani we can get going" I heard my sister say. I elbowed her hoping Nani didn't hear.

We starting making our way to the parking lot. When we got to the car I helped Nani and Bella put their luggage in the car. Nani was struggling to fit the shopping bags in the trunk. Bella had already gone into the car with my mom and sister.

We finally got everything to fit. "Thank you" "No problem". We entered and saw that the only available seats were the middle and side seats. My mom was obviously driving, my sister was in the passengers seat, and Isabella was on the far right seat. Nani got in first. I went in after her. We were very close together. So close that I could feel the warmth radiating off her brown skin. I felt butterflies in my stomach. I love this girl.

Nani's POV

I saw Isabella sitting in the car right seat leaving me no choice but to sit in the middle, Riki on my left. I got in the car as I heard Bella giggle. This was definitely planned. I then felt Riki get in next to me.

My heartbeat quickened. I don't like him or anything, I'm just shy around the boy I have to call my husband.

"Ok get your seatbelts on" Mrs. Nishimura said. I went to grab my seatbelt and put it on. Riki did at the same time. The things to connect our seatbelts were right next to each other. While trying to put on our seatbelts our hands touched. He quickly pulled his hand away making his seatbelt snap back and hit him in the face.

I quickly put my hand on his face checking if he was ok. He turned bright red and froze in place. I quickly pulled my hands away after realizing what I'd just done.

"It's ok Niki she doesn't bite" Isabella said "Well actually..." "SHUT UP ISABELLA" I said before she could continue. "I was five OKAY" I said in a slightly calmer tone. I then heard Niki laugh. So do Konon and Isabella. I let out a small laugh too. The entire situation was funny.

"Are you okay though?" I asked still worried about him. "Yeah I'm fine don't worry" he said in a calm voice.

"Can y'all stop flirting so we can leave." Konon said. "SHE WAS JUST MAKING SURE I WAS OKAY" Niki shot back. "Stop fighting so we can leave" Niki's mom said.

I giggled seeing Niki's interaction with his sister. He really was just a normal teenage boy. I felt bad for treating him differently because of this whole situation.

We had been driving for a few minutes. I had been on my phone like everyone else in the car. I watched tik toks and scrolled through Instagram.

Suddenly my stomach growled. All I had eaten all day was some snacks on the plane and my coffee. Riki noticed because he turned towards me right away.

"Are you hungry?" He asked. "No I'm fine" I said. He looked at me not believing a word coming out of my mouth. "Mom, Nani's hungry!" He yelled. I panicked because I didn't want to bother his mom. "No no really I'm fine" "Honey you need to eat" Mrs Nishimura said "We can pull over, I think we're all a bit hungry now"

I was a bit embarrassed but I heard my stomach growl again. 'Maybe I should eat' I thought. We took the closest exit and drove into a small city. It was beautiful. I was completely mesmerized by the city lights I forgot about the hunger that was just consuming my body.

Niki's POV

I looked over at Nani and saw her eyes sparkling with admiration. She was so beautiful. She looked at the city lights mesmerized by them, while I was mesmerized by her.

Then I noticed Isabella staring at me with a creepy face. She's a little weird but that's okay. She giggled and I realized she had seen me staring at her best friend. I looked away embarrassed.

I felt the car stop and noticed Nani's eyes fill with excitement at the thought of food. "Cute" I whispered under my breath. She smiled shyly and turned the other way motioning Bella to get out of the car. I giggled at her shyness and her attempts to hide it.

Time Skip: Nani's POV

I felt so stuffed, I thought I wouldn't fit back into the car. I honestly regretted eating so much but I hadn't eaten all day so it shouldn't affect me. We got back into the car and drove off. I saw the city lights fade away into the night sky.

I then saw that sight being replaced by a even more beautiful sight, stars. They were beautiful, like specks of gold covering the night sky. I never took the time to admire the sky, but at this moment in my life I had a new found appreciation for it. No matter how far I was from my home and the people I loved, we were all looking at the same sky. Town after town, city after city, the city lights couldn't compare to the natural beauty of the sky.

Niki's POV

She really was easily impressed. I saw her eyes change as she saw the city lights fade away and the stars come into view. Little did she know, she was more beautiful than all the stars combined, more beautiful than the city lights.

——————————————————————————
Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Don't forget to vote 🌟(only if you want to of course)

Y'all I started school 🥲. It's actually not that bad but it's in person so I'm a little scared I'll get sick. This means I won't be able to update as often 😔. I'll try my best tho.