Ch. 25 - The cookie

Start from the beginning

"Now that I have your attention," Maureen continues, "who kicked your kitten?"

"No one." He finally takes a bite of his cereal.

"No one, huh? Because it's pretty...tense between you and a certain young lady. Hard not to notice..."

A glint of sadness appears. 

She continues, "Whatever it might be, you're supposed to, y'know, start falling in love with Annie today so you probably ought to figure that out."

He tosses his half eaten cereal into the trash. "I know," he quietly answers, before walking toward his own trailer.

~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

A couple of hours later...

Sandra is flanked by Melissa and Maureen as the cast walks towards the lot. Keanu trails behind the group, walking alone. The bus pulls up and they all board. Sandra takes her place behind the steering wheel while Keanu stands near her, hands clasped in front of him and head lowered. Jan notices the energy change immediately but decides to see how it will play out.

"Action!"

The bus flies off the ramp toward oncoming traffic. Sandra's character sees cross traffic move in front of her, unsure what to do. Jan has one camera trained on her feet and another on the speedometer. Up ahead, the lights turns red. Stunt drivers lay on their horns and swerve. Sandra's foot hovers over the gas pedal until Keanu slams his foot down, smashing hers in the process. *"Ow!!" She shouts, glaring at him as she briefly falls out-of-character.

Keanu cringes and mouths, "Sorry."

As they rocket through the intersection, the stunt cars start to clear out. Sandra's grip on the wheel loosens ever so slightly and her shoulders follow suit. *"This is much better."

A few blocks away, two women are standing next to a baby carriage. In her sleep-deprived state, Sandra had lost track of the script timeline. She'd grown comfortable with the lack of collisions. The older stunt woman steps out into the street with a baby carriage.

Keanu delivers his line, *"Look out!"

This startles Sandra, *"What? What?!?" The bus hits the carriage as planned, which flies into the air. Shocked, Sandra lets go of the wheel and screams. Keanu grabs the wheel, staying in character. *"Oh God," Sandra screams, horrified, eyes wild and hands covering her mouth as she continues to scream. *"Oh Jesus, oh God!!! I did it, I did it," she sobs into her hands.

"Cut, Jan, cut, cut, CUT!" Keanu yells as Sandra clutches his arm, on the verge of hyperventilation.

"CUT!" Jan cries out.

Keanu kneels on the bus next to Sandra, a hand on each side of her face, coaxing her to look at him. "Hey! Hey. You okay?"

Sandra puckers as she tries to focus on her breathing. Her brain knows what happened but her heart hasn't caught up. As she takes deep breaths, in and out, she starts to snicker when she realizes what happened. Keanu smiles with relief and lowers his hands to the tops of her thighs as they both giggle together. "Oh my God. Do NOT let me have any more coffee, alright? WHEW!" She wipes invisible sweat from her brow with an exaggerated motion.