Chapter 13: Down The Trapdoor

The Quartet sat gathered around the fireplace, in the Gryffindor Common Room.

"You mean, You-Know-Who is out there, right now, in the Forest?" Hermione asked Harry. "But he's weak. He's living off the unicorns. Don't you see? We had it wrong. Snape doesn't want the Stone for himself, he wants the Stone for Voldemort. With the Elixir Of Life, Voldemort will be strong again. He'll come back," Harry said.

"I don't know. I still suspect Quirrell," Y/N said. "But if he comes back, you don't think he'll try to kill you, do you?" Ron asked. "I think if he'd had the chance, he might have tried to kill me tonight," Harry said. Ron gulped, in worry for his friends safety. "And to think, I've been worrying about my Potions final," Y/N joked.

"Hang on a minute. We're forgetting one thing. Who's the wizard Voldemort always feared?" Hermione said, and the boys shrugged. "Is it...Dumbledore?" Y/N guessed. "Yes! As long as Dumbledore is around, you're safe. As long as Dumbledore is around, you can't be touched," Hermione reassured.

The Quartet had just finished their end of the year exams. And were walking across the outdoor courtyard.

"I've always heard Hogwarts' end of the year exams were frightful, but I found them rather enjoyable," Hermione said. "Yeah. They were no where near as difficult as I thought they'd be," Y/N added.

"Speak for yourselfs. Alright there, Harry?" Ron asked. "My scar. It keeps burning," Harry informed. "It's happened before," Hermione said. "Not like this," Harry said. "Perhaps you should see the nurse," Ron suggested.

"I think it's a warning. It means danger is coming. Uhh!" Harry said, as he saw Hagrid seated outside his Hut. "Oh. Of course!" Harry exclaimed, before speed walked towards the Hut.

"What is it?" Y/N asked. "Don't you think it's a bit odd that what Hagrid wants more than anything is a dragon, and a stranger shows up and just happens to have one?" Harry said, as they approached Hagrid.

"I mean, how many people wander around with dragon eggs in their pockets? Why didn't I see it before?" Harry questioned. "Hagrid, who gave you the dragon egg? What did he look like?" Harry asked, eagerly.

Hagrid stopped playing the flute and turned to the Quartet. "I don't know. I never saw his face. He kept his hood up," Hagrid said. "The stranger, though, you and he must have talked," Harry said.

"Well, he wanted to know what sort of creatures I looked after. I told him. I said, 'After Fluffy, a dragon's gonna be no problem'," Hagrid said. "And did he seem interested in Fluffy?" Harry asked.

"Well, o' course he was interested in Fluffy! How often do you come across a three headed dog, even if you're in the trade? But I told him. I said, 'The trick with any beast is to know how to calm him. Take Fluffy, for example, just play him a bit o' music and he falls straight to sleep'," Hagrid said.

The four of them gaped and Hagrid's face fell. "I shouldn't have told you tha'," Hagrid mumbled. The Quartet took of towards the castle. "Where are you going?! Wait!" Hagrid called.

They bursted into McGonagall's classroom, and marched up to her desk. "We have to see Professor Dumbledore, immediately!" Y/N said, urgently. "I'm afraid Professor Dumbledore is not here. He received an urgent owl from the Ministry Of Magic and left immediately for London," McGonagall enlightened.

"He's gone?! Now? But this is important! It's about...the Philosopher's Stone," Harry said. McGonagall's mouth hung open in shock. "How do you know?" McGonagall asked. "Someone's going to try to try and steal it," Harry said.

"I don't how you four found out about the Stone, but I can assure you it is perfectly well-protected. Now, would you go back to your dormitories? Quietly," McGonagall said, and they excused themselves.

"That was no stranger Hagrid met in the village. It was Snape," Harry said. "Or Quirrell," Y/N chipped in. "Or Quirrell. Which means he knows how to get past Fluffy," Harry said. "And with Dumbledore gone," Hermione said.

"Uhh, guys. Snape is right behind you," Y/N acknowledged. The other three turned to see Snape, towering over them. "Good afternoon. Now, what would four young Gryffindors such as yourselves be doing inside on a day like this?" Snape questioned.

"Uh...we were just..." Hermione stumbled over her words. "You want to be careful. People will think you're...up to something," Snape said, before striding off down the corridor. "Okay. Now what do we do?" Y/N asked. "We go down the trapdoor. Tonight," Harry determined.

The four of them exited their dormitories and headed to the Common Room. They tipped toed quietly across the Common Room, in their pyjamas.

They froze when they heard croaking. They turned to discover Trevor the toad, on the arm of a arm chair. "Trevor shh! Go, you shouldn't be here!" Ron demanded. "Be a little bit more gentle, Ron," Y/N whispered.

Neville appeared from behind a chair a confronted the group. "You're sneaking out again, aren't you?" Neville said. "Now, Neville, listen. We were-" Harry began. "No! I won't let you! You'll get Gryffindor in trouble again! I-I'll fight you," Neville said, getting into fighting position.

"Hermione, do something please?" Y/N whispered. "Neville, I'm really, really sorry about this," Hermione said, equipping her wand. "Petrificus Totalus," Hermione casted.

Neville became as stiff as a board and fell backwards. "You're a little scary sometimes...you know that? Brilliant, but scary," Ron said. "Sorry," Y/N apologized to Neville's form. "Yeah, sorry for that," Hermione said. "It's for your own good, you know?" Ron said. They dropped the Invisibility Cloak over themselves and exited the Common Room.

They arrived at the door and tore off the Invisibility Cloak. "Alohomora," Y/N casted, and smirked to Hermione. Who smiled back. The door unlocked and they entered.

"Wait a minute...he's...sleeping," Ron stated. "Snape-" Harry began. "Or Quirrell," Y/N reminded. "Or Quirrell. Put a spell on the harp," Harry said.

They approached the sleeping dog. "Ew. Get a whiff of that," Y/N said. "Uh. It's got horrible breath!" Ron exclaimed. "We have to move its paw," Harry said. "What?!" Ron said. "How else do you expect us to get down?" Y/N questioned.

"Come on!" Harry ordered. They all gripped the paw, which is blocking the trapdoor. "Everyone, push!" Y/N commanded. They strain, but gather the strength to move it.

They popped open the trapdoor and  circled the entrance. "I'll go first. Don't follow until I give you a sign. If something bad happens, get yourselves out," Harry demanded. "Does it seem a bit...quiet?" Y/N asked. "The harp. It stopped playing," Hermione realised.

A big slob of drool landed on Ron's shoulder. "Ew! Yuck! Ugh," Ron said. They looked up to see Fluffy had awakened. "Jump! Go! I'll distract him!" Y/N demanded.

They other three immediately jumped into the hole. "Hey buddy, remember me?" Y/N asked. Fluffy softened at the sight of Y/N. And ceased growling. Y/N walked over to the harp. He played it until Fluffy had fallen into another deep slumber.

Y/N sprinted toward the trapdoor and cannonballed into the hole.