Pt 5 Chapter 1 - Play hard, love harder

Start from the beginning

We hadn't heard from Tony in a few months, nor had Bruce made any contact. For the most part it was just the four of us against the world. Natasha and I met up for coffee with Jordan so that Kiara and Haz could play. They got on ever so well. I had sort of wished that Morgan and Haz could have a friendship like that but Tony had pulled away from us almost completely. I think he was just so caught up in keeping his family safe that he didn't entirely care what happened in the process.

"Always." Nat put on a little smirk. But the thing was she had been my wife for nearly five years and we'd been together longer than that. So obviously despite her training I knew she was lying.

"Steve, how's the group's sessions going?" She changed the subject.

"Oh, pretty well. It's quite surprising to see just how many people are still struggling after the blip. They just can't move on, I suppose we can't either. But who can blame them. There's this one girl who was really quiet the whole time. She didn't look that old. She lingered at the end of the session and I spoke to her for a bit which was why I was a little later home. She's 22, lost everyone she was close with at age 17. She only had her mum, two sisters and her best friend. And the poor girl lost all four of them. She was left alone, and despite getting herself back on her feet she still really struggles without them. I actually had a girl a year older than her with a similar situation so I gave her her telephone number to see if maybe they could connect over their... well I suppose their loneliness."

"Well that's very kind of you, I'm sure it will really help. I can't even imagine losing everyone. I'd lose myself in the process, god knows what I'd do." Nat shook her head. I'd hate to think what would have happened if Nat had been left alone. She'd have gone into self destruct mode without someone there to anchor her. She'd be reckless again and maybe even dangerous, she'd end up hurting herself.

"Good thing we have each other." I tried to lighten the mood.

"Speaking of each other. Are you coming to Haz's performance?" Nat asked Steve.

"I should be able to make it, I have a session booked for 7pm, will it be done by then?"

"Hopefully, they reckon it's usually only an hour for the little ones as they get tired easier."

"I'm not little!" Harriet interrupted.

"No you're not but some of the others in your class aren't as big and strong as you. After all, not all the others have superheroes for parents."

"Morgan's dad is a superhero!" She said, before her attention went back to the tv.

"Yes, yes he is." I said slowly to myself. I missed Tony, he had done a lot for me when I really didn't deserve it. But I knew if we ever needed him he'd be there, hopefully.

"Uncle Steve?" She turned to look at Cap.

"Yes?"

"Can... Can we um... " She thought about her words for a moment. "Can we do some um... some boxing please?" She was a good talker but still had the occasion where she struggled to get her words out if she wasn't concentrating. 

"You want to do some boxing? Yeah we can do a little. Just finish those carrot sticks first. You need those to grow up to be a big strong woman like Mama."

"Oh yes, fruit and vegetables help me to be a super strong boxer." Natasha grabbed one of Haz's carrots sticks and ate it quickly. And it worked, Harriet ate up all of her Carrot sticks quickly before running off to get changed into something more appropriate for boxing than a dress.

"How did we raise such a little firecracker?" I chuckled.

"Because she's got your spirit." Nat told me, eyebrows raised, smirk across her lips.

"Speaking of fire cracker, fancy doing some of our own training? It's been quite the while since I beat your ass in the ring." Nat took a sip of her water. She eyed me up and down.

"Challenge accepted Darling." I stared at her. I quickly dumped all the plates in the sink.

"How about we use the agent's training room?" Nat asked casually.

"Why?"

"It's more private." She shrugged, leaving the room.

"I see." I shook my head, following her out into the corridor. She was already strutting off towards the old Agent quarters. We went past Maria's office and down the stairs to the training room. There were shooting allies for archery and guns, dummies for combat practice and various different gym equipment.

Natasha stepped up into the ring. She ran her fingers through her hair slowly pulling it up into a messy ponytail. She already had leggings on and she just pulled off her top so she was in a matching sports bra. I watched as she stretched out her arms and the defined muscles on her body flexed. The sight alone could have beaten me but I thought it would be fun to spar anyway. I coincidentally had running shorts on and an old captain america t-shirt i had brought from Primark just to mess with him.

I looked up at Nat who looked down at me, a fixed and neutral expression on her face. Our eyes maintained a strong contact as I entered the ring. I felt my stomach flutter, she looked incredibly attractive as she looked down at me. I straightened up and prepared myself. A year or two ago I would probably have stood a chance however more recently I'd barely used the gym and definitely wasn't as strong as Nat.

"Ready?"

"As I'll ever-" She swung a punch at me, luckily I ducked. A second and a third came flying at me without warning. I blocked them, just. I tried to land one on her shoulder but she grabbed my arms and turned me round, holding it behind me back.

"Nice try." She whispered in my ear. I looked up and kissed her quickly before managing to squeeze out of her grasp. I was behind her and managed to kick her back. She stumbled forward but regained balance as she grasped onto the side of the ring.

"That's good." She smirked. "But not good enough. Are we playing hard or do I go easy on you?"

"You only live once, give me your best shot." I breathed.

"If you say so."

Kicks and punches flew between us until I somehow felt my fist make hard contact with her face. She looked back at me.

"You think I can't take a punch."

She left herself open for me to punch again. "Oh, come on. You can hit harder than that." She teased.

"But I don't want to hurt you." I frowned, taking a deep breath.

"I thought we were playing hard?" She swung a kick at me, hitting my arm with a strong force. There was a mess of arms and legs as we aimed at each other. I managed to hit her again, harder than before. She looked down at the floor for a moment before looking back up. Her lips were bloody but she just wiped it off and went for me again. I felt myself smiling as we hit each other. There was no aggression in it, just some good old fashioned avengers fun. It didn't take long before she had both my arms pinned behind me back.

"I win." She breathed beside my ear. I felt my breath catch in my throat. She kissed my neck, still holding firmly onto my wrist. I tilted my head back as I felt her hot lips on my skin.

I turned around and she locked her lips with mine. There was a slight metallic taste from the blood but I didn't care. Her hands ran through my hair, curling the strands in her fingers as she kissed me passionately. There was no mistaking it. She knew exactly how to get me where she wanted me. We stepped back until I felt my back hit one of the cold corners of the ring. She ran her hands over my body and they found their way under my top to hold my back. We paused for a moment, breathing heavily. She definitely hadn't lost her flare.

"Mrs Romanoff, your presence is required in the living room, Miss Romanoff requires her mothers as Mulan is on the television." Friday ran through the speaker.

"Come on." Nat sighed.

"Wait." I held onto her hand.

"Just five more minutes." I smiled cheekily.

"But-" I didn't let her finish as I rushed forward to kiss her again. She fell into it happily. Just five more minutes I thought to myself.