The woman's dark, slightly greying hair was tied back into a tight bun, which was hidden underneath a pitch black witches hat. Two long owl feathers stuck out from the brim, wilting slightly in a strangely graceful way. She was wearing black robes, with a gleaming gold clasp over the collar. Over the robes she was wearing a green cloak that had large, sagging sleeves that hung down to her feet with the brim of her robes. The woman's face was carved with the lines of age, and her lips were pulled into a thin line. She looked stern, and dangerous to cross. Saros doubted that even Fenrir would dare to cross the woman if they were to meet. The woman's stern gaze landed on Saros, and they widened a fraction. Saros offered her a small polite smile, but that only seemed to unnerve her more. She looked away, and Saros' smile was quickly replaced with a confused arch of his brow. Saros glanced at Draco, who was shooting her a similar expression. The woman looked over at the sea of students, who had silenced their chatter upon seeing her.
"The firs' years, professor McGonagall." The tall man said.
The woman - McGonagall - smiled patiently.
"Thank you, Hagrid." She said.
Hagrid descended the steps, and he moved over to the forest surrounding the castle grounds. Saros gazed after him curiously. Something gazed out of the woods. Something big, with narrowed golden eyes. Saros' eyes widened slightly. McGonagall disappeared inside the door, before it was tugged open wide. McGonagall stepped back, allowing the children to step into the entrance hall.

The entrance hall was huge, big enough to fit an entire house with ease. The walls were high, so high Saros couldn't see the ceiling properly. Suits of armour stood in a line either side of the walls, their hands resting on the handles of their swords. A large set of stairs stood proudly in the back of the room. The walls were lined with portraits of all sizes, each bearing a witch or wizard lost to time. Most of them were old, but some looked young, twenty at least. They each looked at the students curiously, whispering to each other and occasionally pointing at them with their wands or fingers. Saros quirked an eyebrow at them. What could they be talking about? The boy turned his attention back to McGonagall, while some of the other students gaped and gawked at the portraits.
"Welcome to Hogwarts," McGonagall called, earning the attention of all of the first years, "The banquet will begin shortly, however, before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be like your family within Hogwarts."
Saros and Draco grinned at each other, before turning the grin to their friends.
"You will have classes with the rest of your house," McGonagall continued, "Sleep in your dormitory and spend free time in your house common room."
McGonagall glanced around the group, "The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."
Her eyes lingered onto a child in the crowd, before she turned and disappeared into the set of double doors on the right.
Excited whispers and muttering filled the space. Saros turned to Draco, who started to straighten out the ravenette's tie. Saros reached up and straightened the blond's collar. Pansy helped Greg straighten out his robes, and Blaise tried to help Theo neaten out his messy hair, despite the boy's protests. Saros and Draco snickered to each other as they watched Theo swat Blaise's hands away. Eventually, Theo gave in, and begrudingly let Blaise straighten his hair out.

Something landed on Saros' foot, and the boy looked down. A small toad was sat squat on his foot, gazing up at him with wide watery eyes. The toad let out a low ribbit, and bent to scoop it up.
"Hello there," Saros greeted, "You belong to that kid that girl mentioned, aren't you?"
The toad ribbited again, lying slump in the boy's hold. The toad looked comfortable cupped in Saros' arms, completely care-free and relaxed. Saros turned to his friends.
"Hey," He called, "I found that toad that girl was talking about."
Pansy and Draco looked slightly unnerved, while the other boys gathered around Saros.
"We'll help you look," Blaise offered, running the back of his finger over the toad's back, "We can't keep ahold of the toad througout the entire ceremony."
Saros nodded curtly. The boy turned and faced the crowd, scanning the faces for that bushy-haired girl. Blaise stood beside him, while Greg, Theo and Vince moved to wander the crowd. Eventually, Blaise found the bushy-haired girl. She was talking to a boy with firery red hair and a boy with straight black hair. Blaise and Saros glanced at each other. They wove their way through the crowded children, shooting 'excuse me's every couple of seconds.

Eventually, the duo made it to the trio. The bushy-haired girl quirked an eyebrow at him.
"Yes?" She asked.
Saros held up the toad, "I believe you were lookin' for this."
"Trevor!" The black-haired boy said excitedly, plucking the toad from Saros' arms, "Where did you find him?"
"On my shoe." Saros replied.
"Thank you." The boy said politely.
Saros gave him a curt nod, and he and Blaise turned to leave.
"You're a Tenebris, aren't you?"
Saros turned at the name. The red haired boy looked at him expectantly, his arms folded over his chest. Anger pooled in Saros' stomach, and his eyes narrowed. Blaise took ahold of Saros' arm.
"Well? Aren't you?" The boy asked again, quirking his eyebrow, "You have that swirl on your eye, you gotta be a Tenebris."
"It's none of your business." Saros hissed.
"Touchy, are we?" The boy grinned mockingly.
Saros' fists clenched.
"Leave it, Sar," Blaise whispered in Saros' ear, "He's not worth it."
The boy pulled Saros back through the crowd and over to the others, who were all bearing worried expressions. Saros ripped his arm from Blaise's hold and moved over to stand by Draco.
"What happened?"
"He mentioned-"

McGonagall returned. She moved over to the front of the crowd, looking stern.
"Move along now," She said, "The Sorting Ceremony is about to begin."
Saros spared a glare at the redhead over his shoulder, and followed McGonagall into the Great Hall.