Chapter Two

Trees taller than anyone could imagine surrounded every inch of our surroundings. They were like giants towering over us, blocking out almost every ray of sunshine. Down here was damp and dim, the smell of moss and fresh mildew greeted my nostrils.

My ears were filled with the loud, rush of hoof-steps and their collision with the muddy ground. We were about ten minutes into the forest and there were no sign of Levi's or Hanji's squads—yet. We still had ways to go and it was beginning to feel like an eternity before we reach our destination. I followed Erwin's squad without looking back.

I knew most of the squadrons had taken their post on the branches just at the entrance of this Forest of Giant trees. The rest had entered on both my left and right flank. They were to make sure other Titans wouldn't get close to where the experiment was to be conducted.

"Lieutenant, how much further?" Nat's question brought me back to focus. I quickly assess our surroundings the time wince we've entered the forest. I swallow hard, it wasn't much further.

"About fifteen miles," I reply confidently. "You three remember our jobs?" There wasn't a missed beat with after my question. It was like everyone memorized our objective to each letter.

"Join Levi's squad," Sean answers.

"Then keep an out for any stray Titans if any," Daniel adds.

"And make sure our mission is a success," Nat finishes with a huff.

I had to smirk in pride. Any sliver of worry inside me had disappeared. They all sounded confident and it boosted my morale. We would win this and come back as victors with hope. "That's right," I praise. "And that's all we do until further orders."

Before long I was able to make out the place where Hanji settled her invention. Two large crates stood vertically with two barrels inside each. Both had at least a dozen holes on their surface, they were placed between the beaten path.

"Heeyy!!"

The loud shrill of excitement echoed through the forest. Hanji stood in front of one of the crates while waving outrageously wide above her head. There was a mischievous grin plastered over her face with sunlight bouncing off her glasses. "You two finally made it!"

We bring our horses into a steady trot. Coming face-to-face with Hanji only heightened my accusation. She was beyond excited for this. I could see it in her eyes—that sparkling crazy look in them and that hungry grin of hers.

"Is everything in order?" Erwin questions instead in a way of greeting. He jumps off his horse before ordering one of his men to secure it. I do the same as I make sure my gear was intact.

"Obviously," Hanji snickers as she knocks on the wood. "These fascinating babies will do just the trick."

"Are you sure?" I asked with a raised brow. "I mean, this will secure a Titan, right?" I glance back at the contraptions again.

They looks so——ordinary. So simple looking. How could such things keep a Titan in place or even secure one?

I wasn't much informed on the details of Hanji's invention. I was only fed of small details and the assurance of its success while having doubts of my own. Hanji hesitates as she makes a smug look.

I curse under my breath, I knew it. "That means there's at least a sixty-five percent of chance for us," I sigh. "I mean, think about how we select a Titan or even keep the casualties to a minimum. How are you planning to go about this thing?"

I bite my inner cheek, everything was practically laying on Hanji's shoulders. I hope she knew that too.

"Emma, relax," Hanji assures with a wink. "Everything will goes as Erwin stated. We just need a ten foot Titan, nothing taller."
I knew my face was easy to read, I made it so. I never trusted this plan, no matter how convincing Hanji made it out to be. "Trust me, I don't think I ever put so much faith in an invention—except for this!"