Chapter 5: Cultivation

Lu Yin grew serious in the face of this unknown assailant. He hadnt even started to recover from his previous battle, so it was impossible to use Shockwave Palm to break free of the chilling grip. As the frost continued to spread and burn down his options, he quickly forced his legs to move and pushed the woman along using Roving Step. The sudden shift immediately left her vomiting uncontrollably, to the point that she nearly fell unconscious. Taking the opportunity to tear off her sleeve, he watched as a few leaves drifted to the ground and froze it.

So you had to rely on something external; I knew you couldnt be that good, he mocked her.

What did you just do? the woman gritted her teeth, Was that a battle technique?

Lu Yin remained silent, considering whether to kill her, but all thoughts of that were thrown away as a gust filled the hilly area. The Executioner flying over made it impossible for him to make a move, but curiously enough, the woman didnt actually seem happy to see the man. Was she not from the camp?

The air billowed out from Zhou Shan as he descended majestically, his eyes sweeping across Lu Yin and the woman before settling on the white spacecraft, Can someone give me an explanation?

Lu Yins mind raced as he considered his answer, I was exploring the area when this spacecraft crashed down and a person stepped out from within. He tried to kill me, but he might have been injured from the impact so I managed to take him out.

Zhou Shan stared at Lu Yin before shifting his gaze to the girl, seemingly losing all sense of urgency as he smiled, Its been a long time, Snow Maiden.

The woman bowed, Zhao Yu pays her respects to the Executioner.

This revelation shocked Lu Yin. He had heard of the Snow Maidens before. They were the Water Sages disciples from the Blue Camp in the Changbai Mountains. Why was one here at Nanjing??

We havent met since the Apocalypse. I never expected so much to change, Zhou Shan sighed.

Zhao Yu gathered herself and bowed, The Water Sage sends her congratulations for gaining control of the Su District.

Zhou Shan smiled bitterly, What is there to congratulate? I know how powerful the Three High Sages are; I cant compare to your master in any way. You alone are already stronger than all of my captains.

Zhao Yu smiled, Thats too much to say when I was just defeated by one of yours. Hes quite strong.

Him? Zhou Shan pointed at Lu Yin with astonishment, I dont even know him.

Isnt he one of the Troop Leaders under you? Zhao Yu asked with similar surprise, prompting a curious gaze from the Executioner; he couldnt see the strength needed to defeat a Snow Maiden in the youth at all.

Lu Yin stared down while considering the implications of this conversation. These two clearly knew each other from before the Apocalypse, but they hadnt met since then. This meant Zhou Shan had seen the power of the Three High Sages even before disaster had struck. It was publicly known that the Seven Sages had started cultivating even before the Apocalypse, and Lu Yin had also heard that exploring Neptune had been quite fruitful; a corpse and a warblade had been retrieved on that trip. China had eventually succumbed to global pressure and shared some items to prevent a world war, which showed just how valuable they were. He clenched a fist as he pondered; the fact that the Seven Sages were able to cultivate before the Apocalypse showed that they had relied on an object from that corpse. This validated his search; the Seven Sages couldnt possibly have known about formcast models, so if that corpse was from a supreme being, it possibly still retained the model within the body. This had been his goal all along.