Chapter 3: Arrival

Zhongshan had been cleared out entirely, leaving the enormous plaza filled with numerous modern facilities that left the newcomer cultivators in awe. They saw soldiers walk by with uniform blades on their backs; a strange fusion of modern and ancient equipment. Regular guns had become useless as cultivation developed, and many national armories had been destroyed in the Apocalypse. For someone to still be able to outfit all their soldiers with standardized equipment was a demonstration of their power and influence.

Lu Yin and the other newcomers were taken to a huge square where they were encircled by the soldiers, both men and women alike. About ten meters above them was a square of clear glass that separated another area from which quite a few people looked down on the soldiers and newcomers while giggling.

I wonder if there are any useful ones this time. Itll be good if we could get someone of decent strength or even in the Realm of Man, someone grunted from among the overlookers.

Dont get your hopes up. The Realm of Man isnt easy to reach. Besides, the Executioner has already decided who the Realm of Man captains will be. Neither of us qualified, a beautiful woman next to the man replied irritatedly.

It couldnt have been easy guarding tens of thousands of survivors to Nanjing, so I have pretty high expectations of this group. If you dont want them, Id be happy to take them off your hands. a young man said with a smile.

Stop dreaming. It all depends on how Feng Hong handles this. Hes the instructor this time, so hes sure to get the best ones, the middle-aged man said.

All the people in this upper area were captains at the camp. The camp held eighty thousand cultivators, of whom only those that had reached the Realm of Earth could become captains. Each held almost absolute power in Nanjing, with status second only to the Executioner himself. Sight of the Executioner was a rare occasion to the millions of survivors in Nanjing, so to most, the captains were the ones in power.

Apparently, the Water Sages disciples are coming to Nanjing to battle one of us. Who wants to take on the challenge? the beautiful woman suddenly asked with a grin, bursting into laughter when everyone went silent, Rumors say that she declared the Snow Maidens invincible in the Realm of Earth. Dont you guys want to defend your reputations?

Nobody said a word in response, and despite a giggle the woman covered her mouth and went quiet as well. Although the common person might think that the Seven Sages stood equal, a few individuals knew that there were three high sages and four normal sages. The Water Sage with the Blue Camp atop her icy peak was a high sage, while Zhou Shan was only a regular sage ranked below her.

Meanwhile in the plaza below, the cultivators were being checked individually. This was mostly due to the many new diseases that had sprung up since the apocalypse. The sickness that could be contracted from the zombies was particularly difficult to treat, so the camp had to ensure that all newly arrived cultivators did not carry any illness that could endanger the camp. It was soon Lu Yins turn, and the nurse filled in his details while he turned in his blood sample. His eyes flickered and his body blurred briefly as he exerted strength in his legs, but the only change was a slight change in the color of the blood sample. For a moment it had seemed to possess a hint of purple, but that was soon gone and the blood went back to normal.

Lu Yin, was it? This will just take a moment, so please wait for a bit, the nurse smiled gently at him. Lu Yin nodded, thanked the nurse, and walked to the other side to wait.

It didnt take much time before the tests on all of the nearly five hundred cultivators were completed without complications. Before much time passed, a middle-aged man in a dark military uniform arrived, exerting a wave of pressure that cracked the earth and left everyone awestruck.