Chapter 40

The years passed on. Miranda had named myself and her other failed experiments "lords." 

With the lost time came a multitude of changes. The livelihood of the village started dying, as well as the surrounding areas.

Great pine forests that once stood proud and lush now were dried and crumbling. A vibrant blue sky was now gray. And the manor I once called home was shrouded with grief and misery.

Consumed by my sorrow, I dismissed my maids. I never allowed anyone inside. If I didn't communicate with anybody, nobody would be able to hurt me.

Miranda still continued with her search for the "perfect vessel" for her precious daughter.

The other lords and myself all had a secret understanding that we were rejects. Imperfect, flawed, defective, whatever one of those you like.

Beside from our already damaged relationship with each other, all of us monsters and Miranda got along as well as we could.

Heisenberg was still jaded, Alcina was still posh and classy, Donna was silent and awkward, and Moreau awkward as well, but also a bit pathetic.

Then there was me. Cold, mean, and blunt. That was the best way to describe me.

When at meetings I wouldn't talk unless needed. I wouldn't do anything unless Miranda said so, and eventually became known as her favorite. That was what the others couldn't understand.

I learned to pretend. To make others see me as something I'm not. Under my demeanor, I could be happy, loud, and bright. But I chose not to. It would be easier if I was compliant, silent, and easy.

Heisenberg, Donna, Alcina, Moreau... they never learned how to pretend. They spoke– through their own mouths of something else's– their feelings and opinions. And thus Miranda didn't take too kindly to that.

So, through everything, I pretended. I was the imperfect perfect so-called daughter and sister. That's the way it was, until one day.