Chapter 30

Thomas's meeting with Miranda went as well as it could. She just asked him some questions and made sure that everything was going her way.

But, just when she was about step out the door she told me something.

"Come to my cottage tomorrow evening. I want you to meet somebody. Okay?"
"Yes, Mother Miranda."

Her cold tone faded into a more warm one. She looked up at me, "Remember that I care for you, Juliet." I nodded, closing the door behind her.

Immediately, I sighed out of relief that she was finally gone. Thomas stood behind me, reaching out a hand. "Are you okay?" Sighing yet again, I turned around to face him.

"Yes," I said with a sweet smile, "I'm glad that everything went smoothly." He smiled a little, "Good."

From the side of the room came Hannah. She walked timidly toward me. "M-Madam?" she said. I looked down at her, "Yes, Hannah?"

She stuttered terribly, and couldn't get her words out. So, another maid, Rebecca, came from the western tower stairs to Hannah's side.

She looked up at me, "Madam, what Hannah is trying to say is that tomorrow is the new season. Everyone in the village will be getting new clothes, decorations, and what nots for their homes and selves."
"Oh, I hadn't realized. Alright, we'll go to market tomorrow to get some new things."
The maids smiled brightly to each other and head out, dragging Thomas with them.

My head was fuzzy with all that just transpired. I had only been living in the village on my own for about a month. The idea that there were seasons in social society had never crossed my head. There were much more important things to worry about.

So, I tried to prepare myself for the chaos that would come about tomorrow.