Chapter 26

I begged for Mother Miranda to release Thomas. I must have seemed like an absolute fool, begging like a dog. But, it was the only thing I could think of doing that wouldn't end that badly.

Miranda sighed, and began to speak. "There are only two things I can do for you. Either I keep Mr. Brown here, or you foster him within your own estate."

I shivered. Thomas couldn't be freed, but he could be saved from a more unfortunate fate.

I answered bluntly, "I'll harbor Mr. Brown within my walls." Miranda nodded, "Good. Be sure that he won't escape."
"I will. Thank you, Mother Miranda," I said as I gracefully curtsied before her.

Miranda went to get the keys to the cell. I went slowly over to Thomas, a few tears in my eyes. "I'm sorry," I whispered, "It's all I can do." He smiled, that warm, heartfelt smile that made my heart melt.

"Be cautious," Miranda said as she unlocked the barred door, "This man is not to leave the village. Understood?"
"Yes, Mother Miranda."

The feathered woman dragged Thomas out and handed him to me. He was leaning very much on me, and I wasn't sure if I could support him. So, I gently leaned him against the wall and turned to Mother Miranda.

She sighed and put her hand on my cheek. "I'm sorry, my dear. Truly. Be careful. I'm doing this so you and I can be safe. You are like a daughter to me."

For some strange reason, a nice feeling washed over me as she said those words. I felt like her actual daughter. I smiled, and we both embraced. "Thank you, mother."

   After many preparations and briefings from Miranda, we were ready to leave for Stone Manor.

Of course, the curtains had to be drawn and only candles could be lit. So, we talked in the dark while Thomas washed up in the bathroom.

So, out Thomas came looking much better than before. I stood immediately, talked with Miranda for a little while more, and then went outside with Thomas with my black parasol in hand.