(Updated) Chapter 17- Homecoming Game

Start from the beginning

"Hey! I'm surprised you actually picked up.....Is that you? My long lost sister!" Charlie greets me with his big goofy smile over the FaceTime call.

"Very funny...... I've missed you too, Charlie."

"You're a hard girl to get a hold of these days. I was starting to think you were too busy for your dear ole' brother...."

"I will never be too busy for you." I give Charlie a big cheesy grin with tired eyes, my head is laying on my pillow while we talk. It's true though, I haven't had much time to catch up with Charlie lately. We've only sent a few texts here and there the last couple weeks which isn't normal for us.

"So..... fill me in. How's life? I'm gonna be honest, I didn't expect to see you in bed already on a Friday night. I figured you'd be out with some of your friends."

"Way to make me feel like a grandma!" I chuckle lightly. "Everybody is probably still at the Dairy Barn. I could have gone, but wasn't feeling up to it after the game. It's been a busy week. I don't think I ever even text you that Payton got hurt a couple days ago which meant I had to take her place in the routine. Talk about big shoes to fill. I was basically freaking out, but I'm happy to report I did not fall on my face during any stunts at the Pep Assembly or game tonight." I pause and give a confident smirk. "So basically between all the extra practices this week, learning all of Payton's material and also trying to keep up with Tyler on our English project that's worth half our grade I've been swamped." I say with a big sigh.

Charlie laughs "Sounds like you have a full plate. You know I'm just teasing and am happy you are fitting in and getting adjusted...... Now go back to the part about some Tyler guy. Who is he and why is he working on projects with my little sister? Charlie raises his eyebrow at me in question.

Of course that was all he heard out of everything I just told him.

A small blush rushes to my cheeks before I can say anything.

"Are you blushing?! You better start talking...." Charlie keeps teasing me. He's laughing and light hearted but I don't miss the slight look of concern that lingers in his eyes. Once the overprotective brother, always the overprotective brother I guess.

"Stop Charlie. It's nothing. He's just a friend." I say unconvincingly.

"If you say so.....looks like you wish he was more than 'just a friend' to me."

"Whatever.....it doesn't matter." I reply, a little embarrassed. "It's not like Tyler see's me like that anyway. We're just English partners and friends. I mean he's Payton's brother anyways. Don't read too much into it." I try to sound nonchalant.

"Whatever little sis, this dude totally wants to be more than friends with you." Charlie scoffs.

"How could you possibly know that? You haven't even met him, you know nothing about him!" I laugh in disbelief.

"Because I'm a guy Lila! And believe me, no guy is asking to be your partner in school if he isn't into you. I used to pull crap like that all the time when I was in high school." Charlie states matter of factly.

Just then I hear some light tapping on my window coming from outside.

"Uh hold on Charlie." I throw my phone on my bed and walk over to my window. Standing down below in the dark is Tyler with a handful of pebbles. I crack my window open and whisper-yell down to him.

"What are you doing here?!"

"You weren't at the Dairy Barn after the game so I came to check on you. Payton said you went straight home. You ok?"