17- MTF Chrome Fender

Start from the beginning

     "Just the gal I wanted to see!" Brian appeared before her desk holding out a latte and pastry bag. "Have you recovered from Saturday?" He winked. "This girl was the envy of every woman there," he spoke to Allison and Stephen. "I know the focus was the children, but she drove every man there to distraction, and I almost think Nick brought her just for that reason! Made it easier to empty their pockets."

     Gia blushed. "I don't know what he's talking about. But seriously, Brian, why are you here? Nick doesn't schedule meetings this early."

     "He did today. Come on." He held out a hand to her.

     "Morning Brian... Gia. I think you two can handle the items that need to be reviewed, so why don't you meet in the small conference room. Gia, you can let me know if there's anything that needs to be brought to my attention." Nick clapped his hands together. "Great. Thanks."

     "Um, okay?" Gia furrowed her brow, then turned back to Brian. "I need to speak to Nick for a minute. Can you wait for me by my desk?"

     Brian looked between the two and hesitated before nodding and stepping out.

     "Gia? What's up?"

   "Did you... did you, uh, see the Sunday paper?"

     Nick pressed his lips together. "I did. Sorry, it's taken care of."

     "Taken care of?"

     "Yes, I've spoken with the editor and given a statement that we're only friends." His voice was cool and businesslike.

     "Oh." Gia looked down at her feet, then back up, trying to hold in the hurt and disappointment. "We should probably explain things to H.R.."

     "I've already spoken with Jen too." He sat back down at his desk and started shuffling papers.

     Gia knew what that meant. She'd seen the blank look in his eyes before he turned away. He would say no more on the subject. Gone was the man from Saturday who treated her like a precious jewel. She was once again relegated to the friend zone. Turning on her heels, she marched out of his office, and might have possibly slammed his door. Oops.

     Her moment of glee was short lived when Chelsea sneered at her as she walked to Nick's office. Leaving Gia wondering what was going on between the two. He would surely have told her if they were working on a project with Chelsea.

     "You should go with Nick and I to dinner tonight."

     "I'm sorry, what?" Gia was finishing up her notes when Brian drew her from her thoughts, that may have been drifting to Nick.

     "Dinner tonight, with Nick and I after work. We're just heading to the Irish Pub down the street."

     Gia looked at him in confusion. "When did you plan that?" He'd been sitting with her the whole time. What she also wanted to ask was "would Nick want her to come?"

     "When we spoke yesterday. So, you'll come?" The corner of his mouth lifted, and he looked hopeful.

     "I don't know, Nick might not-"

     "Oh, he's good with it, and you've seemed down all morning, I'd say you need something to look forward to."

     If only it were that easy to calm her mind, but maybe it would help her get answers. At least Nick would be forced to be around her. She had a feeling he would be avoiding her today. "Okay, I'll go."

     "Great." Brian placed a hand over hers and patted it, before gathering his work and standing. "So, I'll meet you guys there tonight."

~~~