Chapter 8

"My heart is racing, tasting revenge in the air
I let the shit slide for too many years, too many times
Now I'm strapped with a couple of macs, too many nines
If y'all niggas really wit me get busy load up the semis
Do more than just hold it explode the clip until you empty
There's nothing in our way, they bust, we bust, they rust, we rust
Led flyin, feel it? I feel it in my gut
That we take these bitches to war, lie 'em down
Cause we stronger now my nigga the time is now!"

Nas – "One Mic"

Erik became very careful with his comings and goings around M.I.T.

He switched up routes, times when he visited the library, and took stock of his surroundings with a keen eye. His vibram tattoo would alert him physically, but there was no telling who the Wakandans had at their beck and call outside of their country.

Staying close to his dorm, he only ventured as far as the off-campus movie theater. There was no Sunday brunch with Disa. His social life centered on classes, teaching in his T.A. capacity, and hanging around Chloe in her dorm.

It took a casual session inside the on-campus gym to bring fate to his feet once more.

Showering after banging out upper body reps on various weights, Erik found himself alone changing into fresh jeans and a sweatshirt in the gym changing room. He tossed an off-shoulder backpack on and slammed shut a locker door when the tingle on his gums flared up. A multi-spectral camouflage projection enveloped him, and Erik stayed perfectly still.