Chapter 4

"Because hurt things kill

We can't be real

Only if we just be still

Only if we just be chill

So many good things heal

...cuz I know the feeling..."

Mali Music & Emmavie – "I know"

Diša rubbed her three middle fingers on the vinyl and leaned her ear deeper into her shoulder so she could hear the fade better in her headphones. She slowed the bpm of Zana High Life Part 2 so that it matched the speed of the drum mix she created and recorded on her own drums in the garage. She patched in her laptop and checked the updated DJ software she installed to handle a few cuts that she uploaded from her digital crate.

Cueing the beats and song, she watched her bestie Yamilet salsa around the room in high heels and skinny jeans. Yamilet held one of Diša 's recording mics and she blurted out party shouts that rang out through the surround-sound speakers in the living room.

"Let those ta tas bounce Diša!" Yamilet shouted as she watched Diša shake her upper body to her own mix.

Yamilet's voice bounced in Diša's head and she pressed record to catch snatches of the woman's South Florida accent as she shouted her pleasure with the music. Yamilet twirled around wiggling her slim hips in seductive twists. She winked at Diša and poked out her full lips and crinkled her wide nose.

A loud rumble rattled her windows and Yamilet ran to the wide glass view clutching the mic to her chest. She looked down to the second floor of the split level.

"Jesus, what that mouth do?" she hissed.

Diša stepped away from the turntable set up and padded over to Yamilet. Down below she saw Erik hooking his motorcycle helmet to his bike. He glanced up and caught her eye. What that mouth do indeed, she thought as she took in the lush fullness. His lips peeled back into a grin and she waved for him to stay there. Slipping on some house slippers, she headed down the short flight of stairs and greeted him outside with the garage door opener in her hand.