Everyone exchanged worried glances.

Fire was lit, giving light to the dark room.
'There's the door.'
Three of them started to walk to the door, whilst Alyssa looked at the chess pieces suspiciously. The front chess row pieces all moved, drawing their swords to block their way.

Pandora jumped at the sudden movement along with Peter.
'That doesn't look good.' James muttered.

'Now what do we do?'
'It's obvious, isn't it? We got to play our way across the room. All right, Harry, you take the empty Bishop's square. Hermione, you'll be the Queen's side castle. Alyssa, you'll be the Rook. As for me, I'll be a Knight.'

The quartet took their places on the chessboard.
'What happens now?'
'Well, white moves first. And then...we play.'
A white pawn moved forward.

'Ron, you don't suppose this is going to be like...real wizard's chess, do you?' Hermione asked cautiously making Alyssa's eyes widen.
'You there, D-5.'
Mentioned black pawn made the play, the white one destroying it.

Everyone jumped at the sight, they're worry for the quartet growing as they turned to Alyssa in horror as if asking her to confirm what was happening. 

'Yes, Hermione. I think is gonna be exactly like Wizard Chess.'
The game continued, chess pieces being destroyed left and right.
'Castle to E-4! Pawn to C-3!'
More pieces were destroyed, until Harry came to a frightening realization.
'Wait a minute.'
'What?'
'You understand right, Harry. Once I make my move, the Queen will take me. Then you're free to check the King.'
'No. Ron, no!'
'What is it?'
'He's going to sacrifice himself.'
'No!' Alyssa shouted in horror.

The terror on almost everyone's faces was clear. Tears clouded in Lily's eyes at the thought of what would happen to Harry's first friend.

'No, you can't! There must be another way!'
'Do you want to stop Snape from getting that stone or not? Harry, it's you that has to go on. I know it. Not me, not Hermione. You.'
Harry reluctantly nodded, tears filling Hermione's eyes in fear for her best friend as Alyssa bowed her head sadly.
'Knight to H-3.'
The Knight piece moved, Ron looking fearfully determined.
'Check.'
The twins and Harry watched anxiously as the Queen made her way to Ron, driving her sword into the horse, flinging Ron onto the ground unconscious.
'Aah!'

'RON!!' Lily shouted. Despite not even knowing the boy she was in tears and James pulled her into his side comfortingly. The others looked equally sad.

'NO!'
'RON!'
Hermione and Alyssa moved to go to him.
'No! Don't move! Don't forget, we're still playing. Checkmate.'

Harry then checked the Queen, causing her to drop her sword. Hermione, Alyssa, and Harry raced to check on Ron.
'Take care of Ron. Then go to the owlery. Send a message to Dumbledore. Ron's right. I have to go on.'
'You'll be ok, Harry. You're a great wizard. You really are.'
'Not as good as you.'
'Heh. Me? Books and cleverness. There are more important things. Friendship and bravery. Ali.'
She turned to her sister.
'Go with him?'
'Of course.' She hugged Hermione tightly. 'Take care.'
'Always. And Harry, Ali, just be careful.'

Harry nodded as Alyssa grinned,
'When am I not.'
Taking one last look at Ron they left to the next room. The two friends walked down a flight of stairs, Harry grabbed at his heads as his scar burned, Alyssa frowned in concern.
when it was revealed the person standing in front of the mirror. Harry looked shocked while Alyssa looked at the figure in realisation and slight triumph.