Chapter 23

Skylor's POV

It's pouring down with rain by the time I arrive at the diner. Paying the driver, I end up getting soaked again as I enter the warm building, going in to order a drink. I couldn't see Kai anywhere though. Was I at the wrong diner?

"Skylor?" I whip my head around to see Cole and Seliel, accompanied by another guy who I've seen around campus, with pale skin, icy blue eyes and blonde hair, "Hey. Who's this?" He asks.

Cole gestures to me, "Scott, this is Skylor, Skylor, this is Scott."

"Nice to meet you."

"You too."

"Scott just got back from a blind date. It didn't end well, did it, Scotty?" Cole asks, snickering. Scott rolled his eyes, "She didn't show up." He explained, reaching for more fries. 

"So, what are you doing here?" Seliel asks me. She doesn't seem too happy with my presence. I glance around, "I just...I was supposed to meet some friends here but I think I'm at the wrong diner."

"You can hang out with us," Cole suggests, "The rain's pretty heavy, whaddya say?" Scott gestures to an empty stool beside him which I reluctantly take, still wary of Seliel who's watching me like a hawk, "You want some fries?"

"I'm good, thanks." My eyes don't leave Seliel's.

"What's the matter?" Cole asked, only to be cut off by laughter. I see Lloyd coming into view, his arm slung around Kai's, "Drinks are on their way, Skylor's here, fries are here- Skylor's here." His laugh dies down in realisation of my presence, and he goes to stand beside Seliel.

Awkward.

Kai looks at me but I glare at the table in front of him, "Skye, what are you doing here?"

Knowing I wouldn't answer, he goes to sit beside Seliel, "Skylor was just visiting some friends at the wrong diner." She caught my bluff long ago, and she sits there, dipping a fry in ketchup and popping it into her mouth.

"You know, you guys are just so cute together, hanging out and going on your little dates," she cooes, "You may just be turning our Kai into a big softie!" She bursts out laughing as she pinches Kai's cheeks, to which he retaliates by pushing her hand away.

"You uh, have something you want to tell Skylor?" Lloyd asks, eyes gleaming. I glower at Kai finally.

"Yeah, like what's going on between you and her?"

Kai groans, "I told you already, there's nothing going on between us!"

"I heard you in the library." Kai stops and stares at me.

"You were spying on me?"

"No! I was working on a project and I heard you! Now I wanna know what the hell is going on that you're being so secretive about!" 

She sideyed Kai before turning to me, "Something's going on...but it's not what you think."

"What are you talking about?"

Seliel turns to Kai, "You wanna tell her, or shall I?"

"Skye, please, I'll explain everything later-"

"You say that and you brush it off! I want an answer!"

"Remember the frat party at the start of semester?" Lloyd asks, leaning closer. I sink away anxiously.

"I don't...I wasn't there..."

"So uh, shit went down there," Seliel continued, handing me her phone, open to a video. She presses play and I watch, my eyes burning with tears.

"I have a proposition." Lloyd states in the video, "Kai, you want that 200, don't you, right?"

"I...yeah, why?"

"You recorded that?" Kai fumed. Seliel simply shrugged in response.

"Why?" Kai repeated in the video.

"Remember that girl from this morning? The one with red hair?"

"Yeah. Skylor."

"Isn't she the one who doesn't date at all?" 

"I mean, that's one way to put it."

"Get with her. Make it last way longer than with your other flings. The 200's yours after that."

"But...why would I accept? You stole it from me in the first place." 

"Hey! Don't start this all over again, dude!" 

"How long?"

"Over a week, at least. Then just screw her over."

There was a slight cut in the video, and it then showed Kai approaching Lloyd, "Oi. I'm in."

"Pleasure doing business with you, Mr Smith. Let me know if Nya's ever free."

I freeze, slowly looking up at Seliel who pulls the phone away, pocketing it as she takes another fry. Cole and Scott look away awkwardly, as well as Lloyd.

Kai slips out of his seat, "Skylor..."

"Stop."

He turns to Seliel, eyes blazing, "You recorded that without permission, how could you?!"

I stood up, "I'm sorry, are you feeling slightly betrayed by this?" I take one last look at the group of friends, before backing away, "I have to go."

"Skylor!"

He chases me outside, until we're sheltered by the makeshift roof of the diner, the rain heavily pattering around us. His hand grabs my arm, spinning me around.

"I didn't want you to find out like this-"

"Really? Because it seems like you didn't want me to find out at all! None of this was real, was it?" 

Kai looks crushed, "Please, I can make it up to you-"

"Make it up? Wow, gee, sure! You can make it up to me, just like you made up your feelings for me?"

"My feelings were real! Please-"

"So what else is there I don't know about? You and Seliel having some secret side relationship?"

Kai's face falls and I stare at him in horror. I didn't actually think he...

"You and Seliel?" My voice is barely a whisper.

"It was one time, I swear! I- I didn't know what I was thinking-"

"Because you weren't! You're just a liar and a cheater!" Tears actively stream down my face, my lips trembling. Kai's eyes were now glassy.

"You said you never felt for anyone the way you felt for me," I continued, "I guess you lied about that too."

"Skylor I didn't want to hurt you! I love you!"

I tug away from his grasp, "You sure have a funny way of showing it."

"Skye-"

"I have to go."

I turn and walk off, out into the pouring ran, leaving Kai behind and I don't look back.

By the time I arrive at the bus stop I am completely drenched from head to toe. The bus arrives and I use what little cash I had in my pockets to pay for a ticket, collapsing into tears as the bus drives on.

 The bus arrives and I use what little cash I had in my pockets to pay for a ticket, collapsing into tears as the bus drives on