Family

The visit with Sammy, Brandon and Abby went by way too fast, but it did accomplish Lucas and Brandon coming to some sort of truce.

Brandon told me that he was happy that Lucas had changed and that I was happy again.  He told me all he ever wanted was for me to find my person like he found his.  He never thought though after what happened with Lucas it would be him.

When we got back to Boston Lucas moved in with me.  It was nice having him with me and we fell into a routine.  In just a couple of weeks it would be football season again, so that meant traveling and time away from one another.

I felt it was time to tell Lucas about me being adopted.  It never really came up, but since we were getting really serious and all I felt the need to tell him.

We were sitting around on one of my days off and I sat up and decided to bite the bullet.

"Babe," I say looking at him.

"What's up beautiful," he says giving me that million dollar smile.

"There is something I need to tell you," looking at him.

"Are you pregnant?  Because if you are I am more than happy about it," he says.

I laugh a little, "No babe, I am not, but good to know you are okay with it.  It's about my family," I say.

"Alright what is it?"

"Well when I was four years old my parents adopted me," I say looking at his expression.

"Laurel baby, why are you telling me this?" he asks.

"Because I don't know much about my birth mother and nothing about my real dad.  With all this talk about having kids if something were to go wrong I just didn't want you to be blindsided," I say.

"Baby, I am glad that you told me and I am so glad the McKenzie's adopted you because they raised an amazing woman," he says looking into my eyes.

I start to tear up a little and he placed his hand on my cheek.  "No matter what you are a full blooded McKenzie.  I see so much of your mom's kind hearted nature in you and your dad's fiery temper," he says laughing.

"I would like to take you to my birth mother's gave site and introduce you to her," I say as a lone tear falls down my cheek.

"I would like that very much.  I can thank the woman who brought you into this world so that I could love you," Lucas tells me.

I lean in and kiss him hard and thank god for bringing this man back into my life again.

"Now I just have to win over your dad and we are all set," he says smiling.

"I think Brandon has been putting in good words with him on your behalf," I say.

"Good to hear. Maybe we should head over to see your parents sooner rather then later," he says smiling.

"Sure I can see what they are up too today and then maybe I can take you out to the cemetery to meet my birth mom," I say.

"Sounds like a good plan to be baby," giving my a kiss on the forehead.

I grab my cell off the coffee table and press my mom's contact number.  It rings a couple of times and then I hear her pick up.

"Hey Laurel," I hear my mom say.

"Hi mom, how are you and dad?" I ask.

"Oh you know busy.  Work never slows down for me and your father is always on the go with something," she says.

"Did you guys have time today for a visit?" I ask her.

"Of course we do.   Just you?" she asks me.

"No Lucas is coming too.  Is that okay?" I say.