A Demand, A Plea

"Shivaay Singh Oberoi ne apne shaadi thod li." Shivaay declared.

Annika's words crushed the future he had envisioned with his wife.

His trust on her broke.

His hopes of this being a joke wore away.

His heart was torn apart.

A flash of hot anger took over him, as Annika touched his weak spots: Family, especially his brothers.

***

Kalyani stood with a bated breath, as she tried to comprehend Annika's words.

The old lady had always come across Annika as the understanding daughter-in-law, wife, and sister-in-law. The one with the bigger heart in any situation.

But, today, she was a wife that asked for something, and asked the matriarch to honour whatever she asked.

It was damn scary.

Annika looked at her grandmother-in-law expectantly, "Tell me, Dadi, you will do whatever I ask, right? Meri kasam hain aapko..."

Kalyani nodded; what type of a woman would she make if she could not understand the fear that was in her voice.

Annika sniffed and was about to speak, when Pinky intervened quickly.

Putting her chubby hands on her daughter-in-law's cheeks, she said, "Do not wastes such a precious promise for Jethani--thems. The doctor is comings; take Shivaay to the room."

"Aunty--"

"Listens to me, Annika. Please." Pinky's words indicated a plea, but her tone was stiff enough for Annika to reciprocate. "Shivaay ko andar le jaa."

Annika nodded, helping her husband up.

Everyone heard Annika ask Shivaay if he was okay, but they saw him just stare at her, as she took him inside.

"Siddharth, Siddhika ko andar mat aana de na. Bohot tense mohol hain." Shakti said, standing beside his wife.

Siddharth nodded, "I will text Mallika to go to the hotel sometime."

Everyone stood rigidly in their places, sighing in astonishment and pain of whatever had occurred just in a matter of minutes, seconds actually.

Kalyani stared at her choti bahu and knew that this was not over yet.

***

"Shivaay kaisa hain?" Pinky heard Shakti ask.

"Pata nahi. The doctor is still checkings him." Pinky answered.

Dr. Sharma arrived upon Om's call and was sent to the master bedroom. Along with her came two nurses and a load of equipment.

Annika and Shivaay were in the room, while the whole family sat numbly downstairs. The parents chose to lounge in the area outside the master bedroom near the corridor.