Chapter 21: No Rest for the Weary

Your POV

After hours of seemingly endless torture, Rumlow called his men away to go to bed and finish their other duties.

"Allow Soldier some room, it might hurt worse for him to see her like that up close," Pierce instructed before watching everyone leave the room and locking the door behind him.

Soldier walked over to you and placed his hands on either side of your head, "Shadow, I am so sorry," he whispered, unable to keep the tears out of his eyes.

You reached up and placed a hand on his cheek, he leaned into it and closed his eyes for a moment. You needed to talk to him, but breathing and talking had become hard, you believed Rumlow must have broken one of your ribs. You were finally able to open your mouth, but your words came out quiet and raspy, "Soldier, please kill me."

His eyes shot open, "Shadow-"

"I can't take much more of this, please...for me," you interrupted.

"I can't, Shadow, I can't," he whispered, still holding your face tightly.

"If I am dead, they can't win," you whispered, forcing him to look at you.

His cheeks were stained with silent tears, but he knew you were right, "what am I supposed to do without you Shadow?"

You managed a small smile for him, "you know, in all of this torture, I was able to relive part of my past, I saw you all over it," you explained as images flashed through your head. Running around with Steve and Bucky as children, going away for the FBI academy and coming back to a handsome soldier, watching that soldier ride away on a train to the war, following him and rescuing him from the war, a train...

"Bucky, was your name," you whispered. As if his name was a trigger, his eyes grew wide as images of his past came flooding back.

"(Y/N)?" he whispered.

You smiled a genuine smile, "all this time we were trying to find our past, but my past has always been you."

He smiled happily at you for only a moment, "too bad our future brought us here."

"Bucky, I would relive that life a thousand times if it meant that I was able to spend my life with you," you explained, "we have been together all along, we just had to fall in love with each other again to unlock our past."

"And what do we do with it now?" Bucky asked you tentatively, "you still want to die."

"I knew that if you thought about life without me, you would remember life with me," you explained, "I would rather die than go through that again, but I think we can break out of here."

"Not when you're in a condition like that," he responded.

You smiled and sat up in the chair slowly, "they forgot one important thing about what they did to me, they created a supersoldier and I can heal very quickly." Your face was already starting to become more recognizable and new strength was returning to your muscles and bones.

Bucky looked up at you with admiration and amusement, "now I remember why I fell in love with you."

You chuckled at him and reached up to give him a loving kiss, "I have missed you, James Buchanan Barnes."

He wrapped you in his arms and held you tightly for a moment, but you winced when he pulled away, "what's wrong?" he asked.

You felt along your rib cage, "I think it's dislocated," you explained painfully trying to fix it, "think you could help me out?"

He nodded and positioned his arms around you, "this is going to hurt," he whispered.

"Nothing compared to what I have already felt," you responded, taking a deep breath. He squeezed and popped the rib back into place. You took in a sharp breath, but it felt much better afterwards.

"Thanks," you said with a smile, "now let's come up with a way to get out of here."