Chapter 8: Lost

Flashback to 1940s

It had been a few weeks since Bucky left for war, he sent you a few letters but they started getting shorter and shorter until you stopped getting them.  You tried not to take it personally, he was busy and there was a war, but you couldn’t help but miss him terribly. 

You spent a lot of time with Jamie and Steve hanging out and trying to distract yourself.  Jamie and Steve had made things official and they acted like it.  You tried not to let it get to you, you were truly happy they found each other, but it made you miss Bucky even more. 

You and Jamie were having a cup of coffee one morning when Steve burst through the door out of breath, “Jamie! (Y/N)! Something happened!”

You both laughed at his excitement and waited for him to tell you what happened.  “I was at the recruitment office again and I thought they were going to arrest me-”

“Wait you went there again? Steve we talked about this,” Jamie interrupted. 

“Not now, Jamie,” Steve responded continuing on his story.  Jamie was noticeably upset and leaned back crossing her arms over her chest. 

“So I thought I was going to get arrested for falsifying my papers, but this German doctor walked in and offered me a chance to join a unit as an applicant for some kind of scientific experiment,” Steve finished still trying to catch his breath before running into his room and beginning to pack a few of his possessions in a trunk. 

“Steve,” you called still in the living room, “what are you doing? Are you leaving right now?”

Without missing a beat, “of course I am leaving now, this is all I have ever wanted,” he calls from the other room excitedly. 

I glanced at Jamie who was hurt and angry, “Jamie, hey,” you tried to comfort her but she stormed into Steve’s room angry tears already flowing. 

“All you ever wanted?! What about me, Steve? What about us?” Jamie shouted throwing his discarded clothes at him.  Steve looked taken aback but Jamie wouldn’t let him speak.  “You said you were going to stop trying to apply.  You said you were over that and would focus on us.  You said you cared about me and now you want to leave me!”

“Jamie its not like that, I have always wanted to defend the country, you know that.  It doesn’t mean that I don’t care about you,” Steve walked over to Jamie trying to talk to her, but she would not let him touch her. 

“No Steve, the war would kill you, my god look at you, you can’t do this,” she wasn’t yelling anymore but you could tell she had had enough.  She walked out of the room gathering her things as she went.  You wanted to say something, but you knew she wouldn't want to hear it, so you let her go. 

“Jamie, wait!” Steve yelled tripping over the mess of clothes they both made. 

She held up her hand to him, “no Steve, I’m sorry but I can’t watch you do this, I can’t keep doing this with you.  Your first love will always be the army and I have only been second best.”  He could say nothing to stop her as she turned her back and walked out the door.  

Steve slumped his shoulder defeated and came to sit on the couch next to you.  “It’ll be ok,” you reassured him, “She just needs time to cool off.”

Steve shook his head, “the truth is she was right, I do care more about the army.”

You placed a hand on his shoulder, “I know.”