Chapter 5: Nigeria

Commander had instructed you that you and soldier would be living in a run-down apartment for a few days gathering intel and devising a plan to infiltrate.  There would be several other agents you were to check in with throughout the mission, but you were essentially on your own.  There were perks to being the most elite team in all of Hydra, they trusted you to get the job done. 

You and soldier quickly got off your civilian plane and checked in at your new apartment.  When commander said it was run-down he was not kidding, the place was about as ugly and uncomfortable as you could possibly imagine, it made your simple Hydra quarters look like a 5-star hotel. 

The owner of the building seemed disinterested and bored as he tossed soldier the keys to your room and pointed in the direction of the stairs.  Soldier unlocked the door and opened it for you as you walked in and took in your surroundings. 

There was a large window on the far side that was dusty and hard to see out of, but it let in some natural light.  There was a desk and TV that both had a thick layer of dust present.  Two small tables and a queen-sized bed.  Although there was dust almost everywhere, at least the bedding looked freshly changed. 

Soldier wasted no time setting down his bags and pulling out the laptop Hydra sent us with, setting it up on the desk at the front of the room.  You, on the other hand, took a look out the window to take in the surrounding area and how close you were to the building you were meant to infiltrate. 

The building was only a few blocks from the apartment building, but your window gave you a clear view of the roads to the main entrance and you could watch the employees coming and going. 

Soldier was setting up the laptop as you walked over and leaned on the side of the desk facing him.  “We have a good view, should be able to establish the routines in a day,” you explained. 

“Mhm,” he responded absentmindedly. 

“I can work on routine, if you can run a check on the employees,” you continued. 

“Mhm,” he responded again.  You were starting to get annoyed at his responses. 

“I think I might take my shirt off and go run across the street,” you said looking directly at soldier waiting for his response. 

“Mhm.”

“Soldier!” you shouted putting your body between him and the laptop. 

He threw his hands in the air, “God Shadow what do you want?”

You rolled your eyes at him, “did you hear what I said?”

He crossed his arms looking at you defiantly, “of course I did.”

You raised an eyebrow, “ok, what did I say?”

He bit his lip, “uh, something about the window.”

You laughed, “no I said I was going to run across the street without a shirt.”

His eyes got wide and a playful smile teased at his lips, “I’m sorry I wasn’t listening.”

You placed a hand on his arm, “what’s on your mind?”

Soldier looked at you like there was something he wanted to say, “It’s…” you looked at him expectantly, “It’s nothing,” he finished. 

“Obviously it’s something,” you responded upset that he did not want to share, “you can tell me.”

“It’s not like I don’t want to Shadow, it's just that I don’t want to bring you into it if someone finds out,” he responded, looking away. 

You thought for a moment, “come on Soldier, whatever we do we do together, we’ve been through too much for anything else.”

He pondered that for a moment before crossing his arms, “I was looking into the device we are supposed to acquire, I am not sure what it is.”

You sat back and crossed your arms, “I know that is not what you were thinking of and don’t think I am going to let it go.  But no I do not know what the device is.”

He looked at you defiantly still not willing to share.  You moved aside so he could continue his research on the device and you went back to the window.  You had arrived late so the sun was already setting, you would not get any important information tonight so you decided to change quickly and lay in bed with your book. 

Soldier stayed at the laptop continuing his research for several hours before coming to sit next to you in the bed. 

“About time,” you teased placing a bookmark in your book and setting it on the table next to the bed.  “Did you figure anything out?”

“Not really, only that it is some kind of experimental tech that was created at that place, he responded laying down on his back. 

You scooted down and rested your head on the pillow next to him, you were both looking at the plain ceiling not saying a word.  Eventually you began to drift off, but Soldier was wide awake thinking about all he wanted to ask you.  He was worried about bringing you into something he wasn’t even sure of himself. 

But wanting to know your answer eventually got the best of his discretion.  “Shadow?” he asked still staring at the ceiling. 

“Hmm?” you responded with your eyes closed. 

You were utterly unprepared for what he asked you next, you eyes shot wide open as soon as the words left his mouth.  “Do you remember your life before Hydra?”