Chapter 11: Camp Lehigh

Flashback to 1940s

It had been a few weeks since your brother became Captain America, a few weeks since you joined Peggy at Camp Lehigh.  You instantly became a senior officer because of your rank and was referred to as Agent (Y/L/N).  You spent most of your time with Peggy training some incoming soldiers and strategizing taking down the NAZI troops. 

You were in the command tent with Peggy and General Chester Phillips.  General Phillips took a liking to you right away and quickly brought you in with all his command.  You were looking over a map of potential enemy encampments when you thought of something. 

“General,” you began still looking out over the maps, “I don’t think we are looking at this right.”

“How so?” he asked with curiosity. 

“We are looking at this like it is all NAZI army, based on the intelligence, communications and layout of a lot of these bases, I think we are looking at a specific scientific branch of the government with specialized forces to protect it,” you explained. 

“I am inclined to agree,” Peggy responded next to you. 

General Phillips nodded at you both, “alright, but how does that change the strategy?”

You ran a hand through you hair thinking, “I believe that this particular kind of mission calls for stealth rather than force,” you explained, “If it’s a science division we have no idea what kind of forces or weapons we could be up against.  We need to at least send in someone to determine what we are walking into.”

“Alright Agent,” General responded clearly impressed, “and who do you think can pull this off?”

You and Peggy made eye contact with one another and smiled, “Do you think we could interrupt Captain America’s tour?” 

-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -   

You and Peggy were waiting in the command tent when Steve arrived, “I hope we didn’t interrupt, Captain America,” you teased opening the flap. 

He rolled his eyes at you, “how is it that I went through all this and you are still doing the job I want while I have been turning into a dancing monkey?” Steve asked annoyed as he stepped in. 

“I’m sorry, Steve,” you said seriously, “but we need you here on this now.”

He nodded, “what’s the mission?”  You and Peggy prepped Steve on the mission for a few hours bringing him up to speed on everything and answering all of his questions.  When you were finished Steve sat down and motioned for you to sit across from him. 

“Any word on Bucky?” Steve asked you, knowing it had been on your mind. 

You shook your head, “No, he stopped sending letters and General Phillips can’t seem to get any information on his division.”

“Well, I’m sure he will show up, maybe they’re just in the thick of things,” Steve tried to reassure you. 

You nodded not wanting to bring Steve’s mood down, “you should get dressed and prepare, Stark will take you out at nightfall,” you explained shooing him out of the command tent. 

Minutes before Steve was going to leave you got word of a troop that was taken captive to the base he was going to.  You ran as fast as you could to General Phillips to ask about the rumors. 

You burst into his tent and he looked up and his eyes fell.  He held up his hand, “I already know what you are going to ask me, (Y/L/N), and yes it was the 101st division.” 

Your face fell, “Sir, I-”

Phillips cut you off, “Tell me the name again, I can see if I have it on my condolences list.”

Without hesitation, “Barnes, Sir.  James Buchanan.”

Phillips looked down and scanned his list.  “I’m sorry, (Y/N), I signed that letter a few minutes ago.”

Your heart sank, it was some of the worst pain you had ever felt.  General Phillips noticed this and came up placing a comforting hand on your shoulder and your heart silently broke. 

“I’ve had to declare him missing in action, but that does not mean he is dead,” he said trying to find practical comforting words. 

“I know, Sir,” you responded you eyes still at your feet. 

“Look, Rogers is going there tonight, it was your strategy and your mission, why don’t you join him and look for your friend,” Phillips offered. 

Your head shot up, “really sir?” you asked. 

“Only this once, then I want you back on your game in the command tent as soon as you return, no matter the outcome,” Phillips responded. 

You nodded to him and smiled, “thank you, Sir.” He only nodded in response and you quickly grabbed your things and ran to find your brother. 

You caught up to him right as he was boarding the place that would take him over the base.  “Steve!” you shouted running up behind him. 

“Hey whats-”

But you cut him off, “no time to explain now, but I am coming with you.”  Steve nodded and you both boarded the plane.  You caught Steve up on Bucky’s condition and said that it was likely he was at the base.  To be honest you were afraid of what you would find out, but the small hope of seeing Bucky again kept you going. 

“We’re over the drop zone!” the pilot called opening up the hanger doors, “I can’t land here I am taking too much fire!”  The plane shook with the force of the fire coming from the ground. 

“That’s alright, Pilot,” you called tossing Steve a parachute and grabbing one for yourself, “as soon as we jump get the hell out of here.”

You took one look at Steve and prepared to jump, “did the FBI make you this crazy or do you just miss Buck that bad?” Steve called over the roaring of the plane. 

“Both,” you shouted back with a smile and then jumped.  You looked back in the air to see Steve follow you and the plane get out of range.  Because it was night you easily deployed your parachutes and landed without being seen. 

You snuck up to the entrance of the base with Steve close behind.  It seemed quiet enough for you both to sneak through, but once in the base you had no idea what to expect.