Chapter 4: Mission

“Wake up Shadow,” a voice called, you felt a strong hand on your shoulder.  You rolled over sleepily. 

“What is it?” you answered still half asleep. 

“I hear footsteps, I think they’re coming to get us,” soldier whispered, pulling you into a sitting position. 

You were instantly awake, if they were coming to get you it meant there was a mission otherwise you were usually left alone.  They did not care what you did on your free time, but they would probably be surprised to find you in soldier’s room. 

There was a loud knock on the door followed by the door being aggressively opened.  The knock was a quick warning and that was all you get.  You and soldier stood up straight awaiting orders. 

The hydra agent in charge walked into the room and looked at both of you.  “Soldier, Shadow,” he said in a commanding voice, “we have a new mission for you.  Get geared up and meet in the command center in ten minutes for instruction.”

You both nodded wordlessly and the commander stepped out with his hoard of other agents.  They never came to you alone, secretly you thought they were afraid of you both, but honestly the both of you could take out this entire compound if you wanted to, or at least most of it.

After they left you looked at soldier, “I’ll go change, meet me in my room when you’re ready.”

He nodded to you and you walked over to your room which you have only been in to get clothes in the past few days, you had basically moved in with Soldier, although neither of you actually talked about it.  You quickly changed into your suit and took to braiding your hair out of the way when Soldier knocked on your door. 

“Come in,” you called standing in your bathroom. 

Soldier walked in and leaned in the doorway of your bathroom folding his arms.  “You take forever to get ready,” he chuckled. 

“Well sometimes it takes time to look like a badass,” you remarked back finishing up your braid. 

“I guess you’re right,” he replied pushing himself out of the doorframe and allowing you to walk back into your room.   He picked up your leather jacket from where it sat on the back of one of your chairs and held it up letting you slide your arms into the sleeves. 

“Thanks,” you said as he pulled your braid out from under the jacket.  You turned and smiled at him before moving to enter the hallway. 

Together you made your way to the command center

Together you made your way to the command center.  Everyone gave you a wide berth as you walked through the halls, they knew by your dress that you had a mission, and no one got in your way when you were on a mission. 

You arrived at the control room with soldier in tow and stood waiting for instructions from the commander.  “Excellent, let's get started.”

You never smiled in front of the commander, or anyone other than soldier, but you only nodded to him your straight face unchanging.  Soldier came up next to you, the same expression reflected on his own face.  The commander nodded and a few agents closed the doors and dimmed the lights so you could see the hologram more clearly. 

“This is the landscape of a city in Nigeria, you are to spend a few days there assessing the terrain and formulating a plan to take over this building,” commander said, pointing to a large and heavily guarded building with a blink red dot on the hologram.  “Once you have infiltrated the building you are to extract a certain object and destroy the building.”

“What’s the object?” soldier asked leaning over the hologram already looking for a potential strategy. 

“This,” commander replied the hologram being replaced with a detailed image of some unknown technology. 

“Inhabitants in the compound?” you asked, inspecting the technology. 

“Get rid of any witnesses,” commander replied menacingly. 

You made eye contact with soldier before looking back at the commander and standing up straight, “shouldn’t be a problem.”