Chapter 16 {Edited}

"You have no right!" Leona exclaimed, trying not to raise her voice.

It had been a normal evening at the Institute as Leona and Michael got their respective jobs done. Leona was on another mission with the team as Michael stayed within the Institute's walls, sorting through paperwork and logging in missing files for the night.

But what had shifted the night on its axis was the team returning and Michael noticing that Leona hadn't been with them.

Michael had quickly gone to Jace who informed him that Leona was in the infirmary, telling the Shadowhunter about a slip-up Leona had with a demon; the demon had caught the brunette off guard causing her to crash to the ground and hit her head.

The blonde had assured his friend that his girlfriend was alright but that didn't stop Michael from worrying; becoming overprotective, leading to their current argument.

"All I said was that I think you shouldn't go on missions anymore," Michael said, ruffling his hair, not understanding what Leona was getting angered about.

The man truly didn't see anything wrong with his words. His girlfriend had gotten hurt, and he wasn't there to protect her. The thought that something bad had happened to her terrified him to his core. He had just wanted her to be safe.

"I will not sit on the sidelines, Michael," Leona explained with a deep breath. "This isn't even the first time I've gotten hurt on a mission."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" Michael asked with a scoff, as he glanced at the corner of Leona's room where a pile of books was on the floor. "You hit your head okay, in mundane terms that could give you a serious injury,"

Michael remembered stumbling upon a book with mundane medical injuries in them. Seeing words like brain damage, internal bleeding, or even memory loss. Michael bit back a shiver knowing that there was a possibility of that happening to Leona if she wasn't careful enough.

"I'm half Shadowhunter as well!" Leona yelled causing Michael to look at her, realizing how his words had sounded. "I'm not just a mundane, I'm fully capable of doing my Shadowhunter duties."

"I just want you safe," Michael said to Leona as he walked to stand in front of her, grabbing her hands in his. "You're my girlfriend, and I...I don't go on missions with you. And it's not that a doubt the others but how am I supposed to keep you safe?"

Leona sighed at Michael's words. "I get that, you don't think I get that?" Leona let out an airy chuckle. "You go out on your missions alone, no backup and no team." Leona lets go of Michael's hands and wraps her arms around his neck.

Leona bit back a smile as she noticed Michael's body relax and her movement. "I worry my head off about you. I'm always worried until you get back here, safe and sound."

Michael tilted his head to the side, pressing a kiss onto Leona's arm, before saying. "I guess I didn't think about it that way, I just...I always know I'm gonna make it back to you."

Leona smiled at his words, reaching up to kiss Michael's cheek. "You're my boyfriend, I want you safe too," Leona said repeated his words back to him. "But I don't go stir crazy about it. I don't tell you to stop doing your missions. Because I trust you, I trust your abilities."

Leona stepped back to make some space between the two, wanting Michael to focus on her words clearly. "You need to trust me. We are both Shadowhunters, we are both going to be at risk until the end of time." Leona let out a humorless chuckle. "But this relationship won't work if you keep doubting that."