Nacht x Reader || Sonder

~sonder~
☆☆☆

I hate the moments of realization. When someone sheds a tear in the middle of an unrelated conversation and you can't help but think to yourself- this person is more than a co-worker. They're an individual living a life just as vivid and complex as mine. They're working through processing their own emotions and managing their own courses to do what they believe must be done.

Nacht was mid- report to King Julius about his findings in the Spade kingdom when water flooded his eyes. The blank face he normally donned cracked with sheer will to keep the tears from falling.

"I apologize, King Julius. Please give me- I need a moment." And he turns to walk outside, a deep black shadow begins encasing his form.

"NACHT!" I scream out in worry and run to hug him, disappearing in the black shadows with him.

"Should we search for them King Julius?" Marx's professional tone rings trough the room after a moment of silence.

Julius shakes his head no and let's a sigh slip. "I'm surprised he held out this long"

"[Y/n] leave." Nacht's voice is hard and full of emotions- all under the umbrella of sadness.

"No." I'm firm. This is the first time I've seen my best friend and boyfriend show so much emotion since...

"Nacht please." I plead. He's distant, and it's understandable because it's hard to retain a close relationship with a spy who can rarely be around. Watching him grow and change into this stoic shell of himself since Morgan died has been painful, but I've been beside him through it. When Julius became wizard king and appointed me to be his assistant alongside Marx, the distance between Nacht and I grew. It felt terrible to watch someone I grew to love so deeply force himself to a state of repression and not be able to assist him.

Then that dreaded mission-
☆☆☆
-flashback-

"You're the only one in the kingdom capable of executing this without getting caught." Julius finishes his mission request for the vice captain of the newly formed Black Bulls. His blue haired assistant, Marx, on his right side is silently glancing to the [h/c] assistant, [y/n] on his left who is stunned silent.

"King Jul-" the [h/c] assistant begins but is interrupted by the vice captain, Nacht.

"I accept."

There's a moment of silence as the king and Marx glance between [y/n] who is staring unabashedly at Nacht, and Nacht who keeps an unwavering gaze upon King Julius.

"If it's what the king believes to be best for the kingdom, then I will do it." His voice is emotionless but he is firm in his decision.

"Nacht-" they interrupt [y/n] again.

"Very well. You are to deploy in a week. Gather supplies you may need and begin preparing. You will be gone for a while. Update us as you see fit." King Julius smiles at the end and nods to let Nacht know he is dismissed. The black haired vice captain turns to walk away.

"You can follow him, [y/n]." Julius says. "And I'm sorry for doing this without letting you know first."

[Y/n] leaves without a word.
-flashback over-
☆☆☆
"Nacht please talk to me!" I scream out in anguish.

"[Y/n]." the tears fall onto my arms wrapped around his sides and he turns in my embrace to look at me before he lets a sob loose.

A lot has happened over the course of a few years that Nacht had to watch up close and pretend to not feel anything about. He's never even had time to properly grieve his own brother.

He continues to cry onto my shoulder, hunched and letting out deep, labored breaths. I hold him a bit tighter and his hands wrap around my back and squeeze me even closer.

"I'm always here for you Nacht. That's what we promised remember? When our families died?" Another sob racks his body. "I'm sorry for not checking in more when you're here. You've been carrying baggage and I've been ignorant to it."

   His tears soak my shoulder and he holds me like a lifeline. Gasping and gripping my [f/c] fur lined cloak (matching Marx's cloak) tightly. Eventually, the gasps turned into slight hiccups and the tears no longer ran down.

   "Let's have a nice day back on your base when you finish your report, yeah?" I ran my hands over the silky black ends of his ponytail and moved my hand to his face before leaning in to give him a kiss on his forehead, wiping the remaining tear trail on that side.

   "Give me a few more moments here." His voice is expectantly tired and he sinks into my hold even more, nuzzling his face into my neck and letting a sigh loose. His hands are comfortably wrapped around my waist now, still holding me close.

   "As long as you need, starlight." A special nickname I came up with for him years ago.

   "Thank you, [y/n]."

☆☆☆
A/N
Hi !
Sorry I've been gone for so long 😅 I've been extremely busy, and chronically depressed,,,, anyways, I hope you all enjoy !
ALSO !!! Thank you for enjoying my writing :D !!! We're over 18K readers now 😩💖 Im so grateful to you guys for the comments and the votes 🥺 ok bye now !