Yami Sukehiro x Reader || Tired Eyes

~Tired Eyes~

"Yami, I was wondering... What was your home like?" I questioned one day as we began to walk back to the capital after our mission. 

   It was a simple mission- capture a small group of bandits for a small village, but I enjoyed fighting alongside the buff (but quickly becoming burly) man.  He had peaked my interest the second Julius bought him into the Grey Dear Squad a mere year ago.

   He was rather quiet, and kept to himself. Not too surprising considering the crass words that left the other royals mouths. I'm just glad he didn't leave... even though he probably couldn't considering he had no where else to go.

"I lived in a finishing village. Not much else to say." His voice sounded bored but his eyes seemed distant, full to the brim of what I can only describe as exhaustion. Not physically tired, but emotionally drained. It was the first I'd ever seen him portray so much emotion
- aside from calculated anger during our spars.

"Oh." Was all I could say. For one, I had never gone fishing. Two, since I'd never been fishing, you can tell I'd definitely never seen a fishing village. Hell, I've barely the seen the entirety of my home.

"What's it like? I've never seen a fishing village." I continue to try and prod him for information. I simply wanted to know more.

"Ah, I almost forgot you were filthy fucking rich." He snickers and turns to give me a joking side- eye glance.

"You say this every time we speak, I know you would never forget." I cross my arms and walk slightly faster to reach a distance he could easily close if he weren't too busy laughing at me. (I have no bad feelings about my upbringing. I understand my fortunate circumstances compared to others.)

"Lighten up, flame princess." He joins me after a small moment, a newly lit cigarette adorning his lips.

A little humph leaves my lips and I turn my head away from him. He lets a small chuckle out (and a cloud of smoke that makes me caugh) before he continues to speak.

"The easiest comparison to my home is the boonies. But next to the ocean. Do you get that?" He lets another puff of smoke out, but not towards me this time.

"I've only seen the boonies during an invasion from the diamond kingdom once. I don't think that's a good visual comparison for me. Sorry Yami." I lace my fingers behind my back and look to the sky and a comfortable silence surrounds us while we continue walking back to our base. We were getting close to the capital now.

"Yami?"

"Hmm?" Yet another puff of smoke.

"You always look tired. Not sleepy, but kind of... drained? I think that's the best word for it." I turn my head to look at his side profile. A fleeting thought of 'he's handsome' speeds though my mind and a small smile replaces my straight face.

"And?" He turns to look me in the eye, a slight head tilt to emphasize his question.

"Do you miss home? If you had the chance to go back, would you?" My tone is still light, an underlined seriousness is notable though. We both pause in our trek home and have something akin to a stare down.

"Back home, I was poor. To live day by day, I had to do either intense labor And starve on little to no food, or spend days at sea fishing to feed not only myself, but just everyone. I miss them, but I don't mind here." He finishes with a small nod and a smirk that makes a flush of heat cover my cheeks- hopefully there's no physical change of color.

"Ah~." I smile wider and continue to walk, Yami a few steps behind me, then I turn to face him yet again- used to the somewhat dramatic height and build difference between us. "Yami, I'm glad you're here. I hope we can stay a team."

He lets a baritone laugh fall at that one. "And if we can't?"

"We will." I wink and turn around again to continue walking. His footsteps behind me were always a reassurance.

"I'm serious Yami. Things were boring before you got here." A quick arm stretch above my head to loosen my shoulders. The silky cape of the Grey deers bunches around my neck while I do so and a sigh of relief leaves my lips.

Another silence surrounds Yami and I. I let my subconsciousness lead me for a while and lose myself in little memories of our time together this past year- which was quite a lot of time considering we were in our own sort of mini- squad with William and Morgan. I personally think Captain Julius likes Yami and I as a pair because he often divides our group into this coupling for missions. Anyways, it was never dull within our small group. Even more fun when Morgan's older brother, Nacht, would join (though very rare.) I quickly grew accustomed to our dynamic together. I grew fond of being close to these 3 men and even more fond of the time I spent with them outside of missions and training. Then there were moments I had with only Yami. Deep conversations of our ideals and future desires sandwiched between comedic jokes and pick up lines. I couldn't possibly deny the ever growing attraction I felt to the man, and I never would as I pride myself in my honesty of my feelings. I have a crush on-

"What's going on in that head of yours, princess?" A burly voice in my ear causes me to gasp and jump away slightly. "Been calling you for almost a minute." Yami leans up and crosses his arms across his scarcely covered chest.

"Yami, I'm very grateful to have grown to know you as well as I do. I'm grateful the stars aligned to place us in the same squad and for us to become friends." A smile and a light heat across my cheeks.

"Why're you so sentimental all of a sudden?" He side eyes me and uncrosses his arms to poke my side a bit causing me to jump and give him a quick reprimand (which he laughed at) before answering his question.

"No real reason. It just makes me happy." I lean into his space and wrap my left arm around his right arm and connecting our hands together. He's grown adjusted to my seemingly innate need for physical contact.

   "Yeah yeah." Yami smiles and we continue out journey home.

   "Let's hurry. I'm getting hungry." I conjure our brooms from a shadow and separate myself from him.

   "I have to shit."

~
A/N: hi :) it's been a little while ,,,,, sorry. V much so been busy and drained. I hope you guys enjoy this!! As always, comments are appreciated and requests are open (though they may take a bit of time.)