Chapter Four: Jasmine Tea

Start from the beginning

“Hisashi and I travel once every 7 years, so do all the other Children of the Forest.” She explained. “Others go to Entry Points in their respective elements. The Water Wielder to the South or North Pole, the Earth Wielder to the desert and the Air Weilder to the Air Temples. Even with the war we have to, we circulate the elements and strengthen the bond benders have with their elements. Not to mention it keeps…” She trailed off and sipped her tea. “Well I shouldn’t really talk about that right now.”

“Where is your dragon Hisashi now?” Iroh asked as he offered her a cup.

Each Child of the Forest had a creature they were born with; hers was a dragon.

(Y/N) took the cup with a small bow and sighed with sadness heavy in her heart. “I sent him back into the Spirit World when I was defeated. His safety is my safety; our lives are entwined. I was afraid they might kill him, as long as him and Huang, the dragon we were saving, was safe I let them capture me.”

Her lips tilted into a soft smile as she stared down at her reflection on the surface of the tea in her hand. She stared at the small cut on her upper cheeks and her dim orbs that reflected the pain she felt.

"I care more about Hisashi then I do about myself."

Iroh lowered his head, closing his eyes as he took a sip of his tea gravely. “My words might mean nothing to you but I am truly sorry.”

He watched her with sadness in his warm eyes, he remembered her bright carefree smile and how she’d dash around running freely. Captivity was not good for someone like her.

"It wasn't your fault, please don't apologise." (Y/N) said, smiling warmly as she took a sip. The warm liquid ran down her throat and cooled her stomach. It tasted heavenly.

It amazed Iroh that even in a situation such as this she could still be so cordial.

“This is the best jasmine tea I have ever tasted.” She praised, smiling as she took more slow sips to savor the taste.

“It is? Oh you flatter me.” Iroh laughed whole heartedly. “I have plans for opening a tea shop in the future.”

She sipped her tea and grinned. “You will make a fortune.”

“Thank you, but first allow me to make amends.” He glanced behind him towards the door cautiously and lowered his voice. “ I tried reasoning with the Fire Lord but he won’t have it. So I will help free you, tell me what I need to do.”

(Y/N) sipped the remainder of her tea and placed it back down. Her gentle smile faded into a more serious solemn expression.

“There is a weapon the Fire Lord took from me. It’s a dagger with an orange burning stone at the hilt. I need it. He almost died battling me, but he won and he took the dagger from me as a trophy. I can’t explain to you exactly what it is, but I need it to return back home to the Spirit World.”

“That might be harder than you think.” Iroh said in a grave voice. “He’s not going to leave it anywhere; his trophy's are kept enshrined.”

"I would not ask unless it were of utmost importance." She begged, lowering her head. (Y/N)'s long hair fell over her face, her clenched hands that were on her lap folded into fists so tight her nails dug into her palms and drew blood.

"Do you need it so much that you’d risk the fate of your life on it?”

She looked up at him. “I need it more than my life.”

“Very well then, I will get it back even if it's next to impossible and when I do, where will you escape to?”

“There's an uninhabited island 3 days away from here. It is my only chance of returning. That forest is an Entry Point connected to the Spirit World.”

“Taking you there will be difficult, Child. It won’t be easy. It will take time to come up with a plan and the timing and execution of that plan would probably take a few weeks.”

Her eyes glowed orange, burning with determination. She was determined to return home to the spirit world and back to Hisashi, her dragon.

“Trust me, I’m patient. I just wanna go back home.”

Iroh nodded. “I know, so I ask a favor of you; you have to play along with whatever the Fire Lord asks and gain his favor. Only then will it make your escape back to the Spirit World easier. When he loosens his reigns around you even the slightest bit, that’s our opening.”

“I understand.”

“Very well then, in the meantime wait for any further notice from me.”

She smiled appreciatively. “Thank you.”

Iroh grinned in a jolly manner. “No need to thank me, I was a lost grieving man before I found you and Hisashi in the Spirit World.”

“Your kindness is refreshing here.” (Y/N) admitted, chuckling.

These past few days she had just been prodded, whipped and forced around, Iroh’s genuine respect and admiration gave her hope that there were good souls left in the Fire Nation.

“There are still kind and Honorable people left in the fire nation,” He lifted his cup slightly as if to make a toast with a grin on his kind face, “you’ll find those drinking jasmine tea.”

She smiled in amusement and sipped her tea.

“I see you have already met my nephew.” Iroh pointed out.

“Zuko.” She muttered. She remembered seeing him in the Throne Room. In a strange way he was the only one that really saw her, everyone else's eyes were like greedy probing hands, all seeing the power she held; all wanting to use her. But Zuko's eyes were different; gentle and kind. Now she understood.

“That’s him then?” She asked, “The reason you chose enlightenment.”

Iroh smiled. “I might have lost one son but at least I have Zuko left, I see him as my son as well.”

(Y/N) thought of Zuko’s smile when he said her name for the first time and how nervous and awkward he looked when he came to sit next to her. His eyes were much like Iroh’s and Ursa’s; kind and warm.

Iroh smiled affectionately as he thought of Zuko whom he loved as a son.

“He is your age; you’d both be good friends if you gave him a chance.”