Mother Mother

Magsimula sa umpisa

Jean lifted Flossie over a log, when the ground beneath them started to shake violently. The girls panic as a large Frilled-neck lizard lifts itself from the ground, letting out a loud hiss as it ran after the girls. The human and amphibian scream in terror as they hide under a log, out of the lizards sight as it ran by.

———————

Flossie waved a stick around excitedly, using it as a sword. Striking what she assumed was a tree, her face paled as the "tree" suddenly moved away. Moving aside, a large mantis leaned down and screeched in her face.
Jean rushed forward, swinging another large stick across its face like a bat. The mantis reeled back as it roared in pain, and Jean took this opportunity to drag Flossie away from danger.

———————

Flossie and Jean finally reached a lake. Flossie put a thumbs up, motioning for Jean to follow her into the lake. Grimacing, Jean followed the axolotl into the water. Before she knew it, Flossie had splashed her. As payback, the human dove underwater, knocking Flossie off her feet.
Resurfacing, the two friends giggled hysterically, continuing to splash each other.
Jean felt something tower over her. Turning around, she screamed as a giant water snake roared at her.
Flossie grabbed the humans hand and dove underwater, hauling Jean through the watery depths at high speed.
The two broke the surface, coughing for breath as they rushed from the water and away from the snake as it searched throughout the lake for its meal.

———————

The human leaned tiredly against a tree, panting as Flossie rushed ahead. "C'mon Jean! The cottage is just up ahead!" She squealed, running off into the direction. Jean held her hand up. "Just...5 minutes...." She panted, finally standing up straight and walking after the axolotl much, much more slowly.

Flossie marched on the spot excitedly, ringing the doorbell over and over again. "This is it, Jean! I'm finally gonna meet my-"
The door opened, revealing a small, green frog with ginger hair. Flossie stared up at him in disbelief. "U-uh...hi! I'm Flossie Harveston! Do you....live here?" She asked timidly. The frog hummed in response, smiling kindly. "Why yes, I just moved here not too long ago. The name's Gunther." He greeted.
Flossie's face fell. Jean stepped forward, clearing her throat. "Do you happen to know this axolotl?" She asked, holding up the picture of the unknown axolotl and baby Flossie.
Gunther hummed as he observed the picture, shaking his head. "No I don't believe I have, sorry kids." He answered.
Jean thanked him, and led the devastated axolotl away.
"Thanks for introducing yourselves, neighbours! Hope to see you soon!"

After a long and tiring journey back, Jean glanced down to the sad axolotl. Flossie avoided eye contact, looking down at the portrait of her and the unknown axolotl. Jean hugged her as they walked. "Hey, it'll be ok." She said.
They were now in front of the cabin door. Jean was a bit worried to enter, knowing Pebbs would ask what they thought they were doing out this late.
Sighing, she was about to push open the door when it swung open, revealing a wide-eyed Pebbs. She let out a loud gasp as she saw the girls, pulling them into a hug. Looking over Pebbs shoulder, Jean noticed the scrapbook that was previously in Flossie's room was now on the kitchen table, along with the portraits they left behind of the unknown axolotl.
She knew where they went.
Pulling away, Pebbs had tears in her eyes, cupping Flossie's cheeks in her hands. "Floss...I-I think it's time to tell you the truth." She said. Flossie looked up at her, nodding a little as Pebbs brought the two tired girls inside.

The two girls and Pebbs now sat in the living room. Jean wanted to be there for Flossie, so Pebbs let her stay.
Pebbs held another scrapbook, placing it down gently on the table. "This is...my personal scrapbook." Pebbs started. Opening it, Flossie and Jean leaned forward to look at the portraits. Some were of Pebbs and the unknown axolotl, mostly the two cuddling while others were quick sketches of the axolotl doing something else. "The axolotl was my ex-girlfriend. Her name was Lilly, she and I were very close for a long time...

(Flashback)

A young salamander sprinted into the lake, laughing as the axolotl who had followed close behind stopped, grimacing at the water. "Ewww Pebbs! Who knows what's been in there!" Lilly gagged. Pebbs just giggled, dragging the axolotl in. Resurfacing, the two giggled as they began splashing each other.

"We had started dating when we were teenagers."

The two sat on a hill, looking up at the stars in admiration. Pebbs was sketching in her book, looking up every few minutes at Lilly. She stared lovingly at the axolotl, until she realised she was caught. "Like the view?" Lilly flirted. Pebbs face went red. "No-i-i mean yes! I mean-!"
Lilly giggled at her stuttering girlfriend, before leaning over and planting a kiss on her cheek. Pebbs covered her face with her book, groaning in frustration as Lilly's laughter filled the night.

"She wanted to be a famous singer. I supported her.
But we had an argument. I can't remember what it was anymore, but after that day I hadn't seen her for many years. The towns folk said she left before winter hit."

An older Pebbs sat in front of the fire, reading a book in the peace and quiet. A storm raged outside, wind blowing harshly as the rain pelted down on the tiny cabin. Hearing a knock at the door, she stood up. "Who could that be..." she wondered, making her way to the door.
Upon opening it, a hooded figure carrying a small bundle in their arms was on her doorstep. "May I help you?" Pebbs asked, reaching over to grab her cane in case the figure had bad intentions.
The figure took off their hood, and Pebbs was stunned. It was Lilly.

"She had changed a lot since I had last seen her. She didn't look like the Lilly I used to know."

(End flashback)

"She told me....she...wanted me to keep you safe, while she pursued her dreams." Pebbs finished. Jean squinted at her, knowing Pebbs wanted to say more, but was afraid to do so. "So I agreed to take care of you."

Flossie was deep in thought. "So...she's still out there?" She asked hopefully. Pebbs nodded. "Yes...she's in Newtopia, a city far from here. Maybe one day I'll take you." Pebbs said. Flossie jumped up. "Thank you for telling me this, mum." Kissing her mother on the cheek, she rushed up the stairs, yelling goodnight as she went.
Pebbs sighed, and Jean placed a hand on her shoulder comfortingly. "Hey, you did the right thing." She said. The newt shook her head. "You don't understand, Jean. There's more to it than that..."

(Flashback)

"Lilly?! What are you doing out here! You'll get yourself soaked!" Pebbs cried. She offered the axolotl to come inside, but she didn't move. She had a blank expression on her face, as she passed the bundle to Pebbs. "Take it. I don't want it." She muttered. Before the newt could reply, Lilly was already walking off into the darkness.

"....she wasn't the Lilly I used to know."

Pebbs stared after the axolotl in shock. Walking back inside, she took a proper look at the bundle in the light of her home. A mess of red hair stuck out, and Pebbs gasped when she realised that the bundle was a sleeping baby axolotl.

(End flashback)

"I just...don't want to see my baby in pain." She muttered, holding her head in her hands.

Later that night...

Flossie fell asleep at her desk, books about Newtopia spread around her. Jean slept in her own bed, snoring away in the next room.
The door creaked open, as Pebbs came to check on her. She chuckled a little when she noticed the axolotl sleeping in her chair. Moving silently into the room, the newt picked up Flossie and carried her to the axolotl's bed, placing her gently onto the mattress. Tucking her in, she kisses Flossie's forehead. "I love you, Floss." She whispers.
Walking out of the room, she closes the door.
Flossie, fast asleep, mumbles in a sleepy voice, "I love you too mum...."

A/N:.....I want an axolotl now. If it's a girl albino, Ima name it Flossie, just cuz. If I get a boy ima call it SPRIG-