Chapter 54 - The End

Start from the beginning

"Brigette?"

I turn at once. Aurora stands in front of me behind her own pregnant belly, one riper than mine. My eyes widen and the first thing I say is, "How are you here?"

Her thin body has filled out during her pregnancy, and her sturdy arms come around me as our bellies get in the way of one another. "It's so good to see you," she says behind my back. "Look how far long you've gotten."

"Me? Look at you. Are you even allowed on airplanes?"

"By the skin of my teeth."

In Aurora, I see the pregnancy glow that I've waiting to see in myself. She has entirely transformed, and every time we find ourselves in the same room, she seems to look healthier and healthier.

David steps up and greets her as well.

"Is that it?" She questions and nods to the folder under David's arm.

"It's the agreement, yes," he says. "We have to turn it in today. Once it's validated, everything will finally be settled."

"Well, it's about time that chapter was closed," she says.

I tell her, "We're handing it over before the welcoming meeting starts. You're welcome to come with us. Who are you here with?"

"I came with Bonny at the last minute. Getting here by myself would have been too much to deal with. But she and Alpha Godoy are still in the room—thought I would venture out early."

"Oh, how's Bonny? It's been a few weeks since we've spoken."

"I wouldn't want to spoil her news. She wants to tell you herself."

I freeze. "She's pregnant?"

Aurora makes a face. "Now you'll have to pretend to be surprised."

"Wow, all three of us are pregnant at the same time. I suppose our kids really will play with each other after all."

"How cute," she gushes, "I didn't think about that, but we'll have to do it. They can all be friends."

Aurora walks with us to the meeting room, carrying on. "I know I said I wasn't going to spoil the gender and keep it a surprise like you, but my sister talked me into it. I'm having a boy—haven't picked his name yet—but I'm glad to know."

"After all my hard work, you're having a boy?" I tease.

"It's not my fault. You can blame the Goddess."

"I should tell you that I spoiled my baby's gender too."

Her eyes shift to David when he glances back at us. "Did you talk her into it?"

"She talked me into it," he says.

The meeting hall chairs are empty, but a small group waits by the podium. Alpha LeLoup and Alpha Lovegreen are two of them, standing a tad closer than they usually would, and I wonder if they've finally resolved their feud. Aurora and I wait back as David approaches with the agreement. It will be validated and kept here in some confidential vault, I'm sure.

"Go on and say it—a boy or girl?"

"I'm having a girl."

"Well there you go," she says, "all your hard work paid off for yourself. It all worked out in the end."

I shrug. "Who knows, maybe I'll have a boy after her."

"Already planning the next baby? Aren't you just the perfect Luna? I mean, everyone around here already looks at you like you invented the lightbulb, you don't have anything left to prove."