I can almost hear her smile. "Aw, well, I think you may just have an angel growing in there. That's good—I'm happy for you."

"Who knows, maybe the little thing is waiting until my guard is down," I joke. "Anyway, I'm actually calling with news."

"You decided to know the gender?"

"Sorry, but no. David just told me that the proposition passed."

Her voice leaps. "Oh! Oh, that's wonderful, Brigie. I can't believe you pulled it off."

A hint of sarcasm escapes me. "Thanks."

"So that's that? Amabell could be our next Alpha?"

"She could be. There are a few conditions, but they're minuscule compared to the rules before. If Amabell is the only blood child of the Alpha and Luna, then she will be the next Alpha, but we're likely to see the first female Alphas in packs who have no current Alpha. You remember how I told you about Aurora, right?"

"Yes, I do."

"If Aurora was Alpha Blood, she would be Alpha of Nicodra's pack now since she was mated to Nicodra. But, because she isn't, she'll have to hold out until her child can take over."

"And because of you, even if her child is a girl, the pack will have a leader."

"Because of everyone who voted in favor of the preposition, yes," I correct. "That's all I wanted to tell you."

"It's great news," she says, "I'm so proud of you."

"Do you think Dad will be proud? Or will he be all weird about it still?"

"I think he's just needed some time to understand it all. It can be difficult for him to handle change, but he'll be proud of you, don't you worry. It takes a special person to do what you've done, and he knows that."

My mind catches and tangles in my thoughts for a moment, then I yank myself free. "David and I are deciding how the baby's room will be, so I'll let you know what colors we chose so you can match the blanket."

"Good. I can get started on it then."

"You'll have plenty of time to knit considering the baby isn't coming any time soon. Unless you're making a blanket big enough for the entire pack, I don't think there's any need to rush."

"You know I like to add little details," she argues. "I want it to be perfect so when my grandbaby is all curled up, they'll think of me and how much grandma loves them."

"You don't have to be so far, mom."

"Your father—"

"Won't be a Beta forever," I finish. "Talk to him. Start to plant retirement seeds, and promise me that the two of you will move here when he does."

"We wouldn't be anywhere else, you know that. The second he steps down, we're coming to be with you and our grandchild. I can promise you that as many times as you need."

Something inside of me settles—perhaps it's my baby knowing that they will be surrounded by love and family. I want to give them a village of people who love them, who will protect, nurture, and teach as much as David and me.