[Seventeen]

~Bucky's POV~

"Hold on," Sam stops walking again, "she really came over?"

"I thought you gave her the address and everything?" 

"I thought she'd back out," he grins way too satisfied for my liking. "What happened that you're not worked up about it, tho?"

"Like she told you, we talked. I know about her past now, about her and Steve-"

"Wait a minute, her and Steve?"

"During the blip," I sigh annoyed. "Apparently, they broke up because he realized that he was still in love with Peggy. Plus something about Dee having secrets that she didn't wanna put on him." 

My phone vibrates, sparking hope inside me. Thinking about Deanna alone has my heartbeat increasing, but the thought that she'd send me a text? On the other hand, we did exchange numbers to stay in contact. Flipping the phone open, I look at the text, unable to help the grin that spreads over my lips.

>You really need a smartphone, old man.<

>Why?<

>I tried reaching you over a messenger app and remembered that I have to pay to send you a text.<

>Maybe you could show me good ones?<

>Are you asking me to take you phone shopping?<

>And a coffee on the way?<

>Tomorrow?<

>Yes ma'am?<

>It's a date.<

I keep grinning to myself, not noticing how Sam started to walk again. Just as I want to follow him, my phone vibrates again.

>Dork.<

Involuntarily, my grin grows bigger as I catch up with Sam, honestly waiting for a remark, but he just smiles at it. "You're not gonna say anything, Cap?"

"Nope," he keeps smiling, "I'm glad you're allowing yourself to be happy. And Dee can really use that too."

"How'd you know it's Deanna?"

"Call it intuition."

We both keep walking, and I listen attentively as he explains our mission. Just a few left-over members of the flag smashers, but nothing too big and easy to handle.

-

Exhaling a deep breath, I walk towards the door of Stark's house. It hurt to be at his funeral, but Pepper asked me to come, and of course I couldn't say no. I just hoped I wouldn't have to look at Morgan again. Thanks to me, she'll never get to know her grandparents and her dad left his life to save everyone -including me. I lift my hand to knock, but Pepper already opens the door, smiling at me.

"Bucky," she greets friendly, "I take it you're looking for Dee?"

I clear my throat and nod, "Yeah, we uh..."

"Have a date, I know. She's down at the lake with Morgan," this woman just keeps smiling. I can feel her eyes on me as I thank her and turn around, but before I can step off the porch, she speaks up again. "He forgave you, Tony, I mean. We talked a lot about this and in the end he blamed Hydra and not you. You don't need to hide around us, and you can come over whenever you want."

Turning back around whilst Pepper speaks, I swallow the limp building in my throat. "Thank you."

Practically getting dismissed by her, I go down to the lake and see Deanna crouching next to Morgan. As always she's wearing her leather jacket, right now tho she has one arm wrapped around the little girl and her other hand resting on the arm closest to her. Goodness, they're cute together.

When I stand close enough, Dee's voice reaches me as well, "I'm sure your daddy is watching out for you. He's seeing how smart you are and what you're doing with his things, making him really proud."

"Will he come back?" Morgan asks, looking over the lake.

"I'm afraid that's not a possibility. But that doesn't mean that he doesn't love you. You understand that, right?"

She nods slowly, "Why did he leave, Dee?"

Deanna's grip on her tightens, and she presses a kiss against the side of Morgan's head. "Your daddy had to make a decision, and he chose to keep you safe, to make sure that you'll always be safe. The thing is that it cost him everything he had. But he's a hero. He can rest now."

"Is that your version of 'I'll tell you when you're older'? Mummy says that when I ask her."

"Mummy needs time to heal, as do you. When you're older, I will just use different words but still say the same, all right?" The girl nods again. "Mummy and I love you, Morgan. Don't stop asking questions, little one." 

Another nod and finally Dee turns her head towards me. Smiling sadly, she presses a kiss on Morgan's cheek and whispers something in her ear. Not needing another minute, Morgan turns around and runs towards me, probably because I'm standing in the way to her home. All of a sudden her little body wraps around my legs and Morgan looks up at me, her head leaning back to be able to do so. Confused I lift my gaze from her little frame to Dee, seeing her waving at presumably Pepper, then walking towards us. 

Firstly I glance back down but do a double take when I register what Deanna's wearing. The familiar boots, a short skirt and a matching blouse. It's not as different as her usual clothing, but seeing her in a skirt definitely is something new. With her hands inside the leather pockets she stops in front of me. 

Blushing a little but also grinning about me, "Close your mouth, Barnes, you're a bad example for Morgan."

"Don't bring her into this," I place my right hand on top of the kid's head as if to protect her. 

"Give me a reason," quirking her eyebrow playfully before she crouches down again. "Mummy's waiting for you. Tell her I said goodbye?"

The girl agrees, plants a kiss on Dee's cheek, whispers something in her ear that makes her blush, waves at me and then leaves. Quickly Deanna rises to her normal height but keeps track of Morgan, then shifts her full attention to me.

Gesturing to the motorcycle I came with, "You sure you wanna wear that?"

"Oh, it's not a skirt," Dee grins, "Good to know you checked me out tho."

Fuck, I just want to kiss her.

"Are you flirting with me, Martinez?" I narrow my eyes on her and pinch my eyebrows together.

"What? Me?" She snickers, "I'd never."

I take a half-threatening step closer to her, "Did no one teach you that you don't play with fire?"

Deanna doesn't hesitate to copy my action, "Who told you that you were the flame here?"

"You won't be making this easy for me, huh?"

Cocking her head to the side, she returns my stare, "No."

Defeated I raise my hands and take a step back, "Fine, you win."

"We were having a contest?"

I watch as the grin spreads over her whole face, making my heart fill with warmth. Slowly radiating into the rest of my body, my skin and body heat increasing as if I'm not warm enough already. Taking her victory nevertheless, Dee starts walking towards the vehicle, letting me know that she can't repair it. A witty remark, but she's too hot to have me focusing on it. One last time I look over to the house, then I go to the machine as well. Pulling a helmet out of its 'hidden' storage, I hand it to Dee. Though when she refuses I put it on her head myself, carefully securing it under her chin, coming her once again closer than necessary. In the corner of my eye I see her glancing over my face, almost as if she's admiring it. Once I'm done, I get on the motorcycle myself, pulling her arms around me and holding them only a mere moment too long. Feeling her body heat on my back doesn't really help to calm me down but I start getting used to it anyway.