1

Merlin, a young boy from Ealdor, had been travelling for many days on his way to the kingdom of Camelot.

He had left his home to find somewhere he could fit in. In his old
home, he had felt like an outsider. He was the only one there with magic.

As he arrived at the gates, he strolled
through the main square, looking at all the little stalls people had. As he crossed a little drawbridge to the citadel, he heard horns and drums.

He made his way through the
many people to see what was happening.
Two knights were dragging a middle-aged man along to a platform.

"Let this serve as a lesson to all" the King said from a balcony. "This man, Thomas James Collins, is judged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And, pursuant to the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death. I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crime of sorcery there is but one sentence I can pass."

He nodded his head and the man was pushed down to his knees. He then raised his hand to give the signal, and the man was beheaded.

Uther continued, without even flinching at what he had done. As if it was nothing.

"When I came to this land, the
kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help magic was driven from the realm. So l declare a festival to celebrate twenty years since the Great Dragon was captured and Camelot freed from the evil of sorcery. Letthe celebrations begin."

An elderly lady from the crowd began wailing.

"There is only one evil in this land, and it is not magic! It is you!" Her voice was shaking. "With your hatred.. and your ignorance! You took my son!"

She heaved a large breath, raising a hand and spoke softly, "But I promise you, before these celebrations are over, you will share my tears. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. A son for a son!"

"Seize her!" Uther pointed.

The woman began muttering a spell, and she disappeared into the sky in a cloud of wind and smoke.Merlin frowned and gripped the straps on his pack tighter.He left the courtyard and walked over to a guard.

"Where would I find Gaius, the court physician?"

The guard pointed to a corridor that was behind him. Merlin followed his instruction and walked through a doorway where he found a sign labeled 'court physician. He went up a flight of stairs and knocked on a door, pushing it open and poking his head through.

"Hello?"

The room was large and filled with desks and shelves that were covered in potion vials, mortars and pestles and books. Plus many other random artifacts. He looked up and saw the court physician- an old man with shoulder length white hair and a mahogany robe-on a little book shelf that was raised higher than ground level.

"Gaius?" He cleared his throat and the man turned around and fell backwards, breaking the railing. Merlin had little time to think or act, so he instinctively used magic to move
a small bed over to where Gaius was falling.

Gaius groaned and sat up. "What did you just do?!"

"Ehm." Merlin was sure he would be caught for using sorcery.

"Tell me!"

"I-ugh - I have no idea what happened." He fumbled for Words.

"If anyone had seen that..." Gaius scolded.

"E, no, that.. that was. that was nothing to do with me, that-that."

"I know what it was!" Gaius exclaimed. "I just want to know where you learned how to do it!"