Prologue

A homeless man, with a ragged coat, and frayed pants, walked in front of a building that read social club over the door. One of its windows was boarded up, and the paint was peeling. It looked rather dilapidated, much like all the buildings on that street. To the side of it was an alley, and standing amongst the litter was a young man, who kept looking around nervously.

Glancing down at his solid gold pocket watch, Cade counted the passing seconds. Just a few minutes left before he could head inside and sit down with his sister for a drink. He just hoped that he wouldn't be refused service for being only sixteen. Just because someone runs an illegal speakeasy doesn't mean they are willing to serve someone underage. His sister had told him to wait ten minutes so she could go in and check no one she knew that could cause trouble was inside.

Cade shuffled his feet as he watched the seconds tick by till he could go inside. He glanced around making sure the close was clear once more, afraid he would be noticed. This was one of the most dangerous slums in Chicago, where you could be killed just for looking at someone the wrong way. It was somewhere Cade would never normally be caught dead. However, this was the kind of place his sister like to frequent, having no qualms about the danger. So despite the risk, when she had asked him to celebrate New Years Eve with her at a speakeasy, he could not resist. Tomorrow was going to be the first day of nineteen thirty, so he wanted to celebrate. Besides if anything happened he had his sister to protect him as always.

His watch finally moved to twenty after five. Letting out a sigh of relief, he stuffed his watch in his pocket and took off around the corner of the alley. In his haste, he had forgotten to check one more time if anyone was around. When he got to the door of the bar, he found his entrance blocked by two large teenage boys. They were broad shouldered, slack-jawed and large fisted. Their clothes were ragged, grubby, and full of holes. They were in such poor condition that Cade suddenly feared his disguise of worn and frayed clothing would not suffice in hiding his wealth.

“Handover your beer money,” growled the one on the right who had a scar on his cheek.

The one on the left held out his hand expectantly.Terrified Cade turned around to run back down the alley, but his exit route was barred. He nearly smacked into a teenage boy and a girl, who stood in his way sneering at him.

The boy had a rat face and several broken teeth. The girl on the other hand was quite attractive, with long hair that went to her shoulders.

“Where do you think you're going?” asked the boy as he shoved him backward a few steps.

Glancing from one pair to another it seemed that the two thugs were only interested in his money since they did not move and just glared at him. The other two however had this sinister look in their eyes, making it obvious that they had more malicious intent.

“Okay, I don't want any trouble.”

Reaching into his trouser pockets he fished around for a small amount of cash. He didn't want to pull out too much and reveal that he was not poor. After a few seconds, Cade pulled out a few bills that came to the sum of five dollars.

Thinking that would be enough, he offered up the cash.

“Here, just take it and let me be on my way,” Cade, mumbled his hands shaking as sweat trickled down his brow.

The two thugs were overjoyed at the payoff they had just received; one reached for the cash, but the girl slapped his hand away. She and the boy looked rather disappointed as if they had hoped that Cade would have been dumb enough to resist.

With a sigh, the girl grabbed the cash and waved Cade away.

Relieved he headed for the door of the bar, but before he even got four feet someone grabbed his arm. It was the teenage boy; he was glaring down at Cade's waist; his face turning red with rage.