Chapter Forty Five

Start from the beginning

"Atleast it's something.." Tucker tried to be hopeful but he knew what it was. A dead end.

"They're never going to catch who did it," Callum paused. As soon as Tucker opened his mouth to say another hopeless line just to sound supportive, Callum cut him off, "It doesn't even matter."

"Why not?" Tucker raised a brow.

"Because there are hundreds of people that want my father dead. And he was going to snitch on some of the most powerful men in the world. Do you really think the investigation will lead anywhere?" Callum asked seriously. Tucker sighed, he knew exactly what the answer was, and this time he couldn't help but be blunt.

"After weeks of investigation they're going to end up finding a scapegoat. Someone will go to prison for somebody else's crimes." Tucker knew exactly how these things played out. There would definitely be someone going to jail, just not the person, or people actually responsible.

"Exactly," Callum said, "They're never going to catch who did it. And I have to make my peace with it."

"Callum.."

"It's okay," Callum said instantly, "I loved my mother and I moved on from her death. I'll move on from his too. Not that he even deserves my grief, he wasn't exactly the nicest father. Or yhe nicest of humans, for that matter."

"You're allowed to mourn your father, Callum, even if.. even if he made his fair share of mistakes." Tucker frowned.

"Mistakes?" Callum scoffed, "He never considered any of it mistakes. He willingly did what he did because it was filling his pockets and he thought he could get away with it. He was a greedy, terrible excuse of a human being."

"You don't know that.. maybe he.. maybe.."

"Maybe what, Tucker? Maybe he just got caught up with shitty circumstances? You don't steal money from hard working people and sell guns to criminals if you're an upstanding citizen." Callum spat. Tucker flinched, even though he knew the anger wasn't directed towards him, but at Callum's father if not at Callum himself.

"Does that even matter now, Cal?" Tucker sighed.

"It does. He could've.. I could've.." Callum's voice broke as his eyes got glassy.

"You could've what? You couldn't have done anything, babe. You didn't know what he was up to. You would've never let this happen." Tucker got up from his chair to go and sit next to his boyfriend.

"I.. I have to do something now. I need to do something." Callum shut his eyes as he said that. Tucker knelt on the ground next to Callum's chair, keeping his hand on Callum's arm and holding it to let him know that he was with him.

"Something like what?" Tucker asked.

"I.. I don't know." Callum answered.

"There's nothing you can do now, Cal. What's done is done, and you need to make leave with that. Not now, but someday," Tucker paused, "Someone told me that I can't solve all the problems in the world, and truth is that none of us can. Sometimes all that we can do is deal with the shitty hand that we've been dealt with."

"But I can do something about it." Callum said as he grew more and more agitated.

"If there's anything that you can do, then I'll help you." Tucker promised, making Callum scoff.

"No, you won't." Callum said instantly, surprising Tucker.

"Why would you say that? I'm here for you, Cal." Tucker frowned.

"No, you don't.. you don't understand, Tucker." Callum sighed in frustration.

"Then make me understand." Tucker almost begged. He wanted, no, he needed to know what was going on in Callum's head. He wanted to know why Callum was torturing himself, and he needed to know what he can do to stop it.

"I have to go." Callum said as he got up, almost pushing Tucker away as he walked towards the front door. Tucker followed Callum, confused about what was happened as he tried to stop.

"Callum! Callum, wait!" Tucker tried but Callum didn't stop, only to pause as they reached the door to turn back and face the attorney. Callum pressed his lips against Tucker's, a kiss that only lasted a few seconds but left a million questions in Tucker's mind.

"Please don't come after me. Please." Callum nearly begged, and Tucker nodded wordlessly.

As Callum walked out the door, leaving Tucker behind, all the attorney could wonder was that what the actual fuck just happened. And for some reason, he had a very bad feeling about it.

***

I just noticed that I started this book on 24th February, and I'll be finishing it by 24th August to mark 6 months!! It's been hell of a journey writing it and now that it's almost done, I just want to thank all the loyal readers for being absolute gems <3