Chapter Thirty Nine

"Take a seat." Joe said as Tucker entered his office for their meeting. Tucker sat down, taking a deep breath in as he did so. Joe opened his mouth to continue but Tucker beat him to it.

"What did you find out, then?" Tucker asked.

"Find out about what?" Joe asked back.

"Callum? You were looking into him, weren't you?" Tucker questioned again.

"I wasn't," Joe answered, when Tucker rose a questioning brow then Joe sighed, before continuing, "I wasn't looking into Callum because I already know he is clean in the way he does his business. I've actually only heard good things about him so far."

"Huh?" Tucker was confused, "Then what has all this secrecy been about? And this meeting?"

"Christian Kaufman."

"Callum's father?" Tucker asked, and Joe nodded.

"When I first saw you with Callum.. I was a bit confused. I just never thought he would be someone that you would be involved with." Joe said.

"I never thought so either," Tucker shrugged, "But things happen sometimes. He.. he's been good for me."

"I'm glad to hear that." Joe replied, but his face was saying otherwise.

"So, what about Christian Kaufman?" Tucker asked.

"I had heard some things through the grapevine earlier so I called my buddy over at the FBI.. and well, turns out what I was hearing weren't just rumours." Joe said.

"What things?" Tucker asked, knowing very well where this was going and that he wasn't going to like Joe's answer.

"The FBI.. IRS.. they're all looking into him. Have been for years now. Apparently the man is involved in some really shady shit." Joe replied.

"Aren't all these old rich fucks?" Tucker paused, "Pardon my french."

"Yeah, but I'm not talking about just fraud or bribery or that white collar bullshit. From the little my buddy could tell me was that Christian Kaufman is involved in a lot of black market fuckery. Including dealing arms."

"Holy shit," Tucker paused, "I'm not surprised, I mean, I met the man once for like fifteen minutes and I could tell that he was an asshole, but this is.. this.. wow."

"Tucker, you know that I know love you like a son—"

"But what has this got to do with me?" Tucker asked, "I hope you know that I'm not going to end things with Callum just because his father is a piece of shit."

"I know that, and I respect that," Joe nodded, "But as I was saying, you know that I love you like a son, and I only want what is best for you. The FBI is very close to nailing Christian Kaufman, it's only a matter of months."

"Still don't see how this concerns Callum and I."

"The elections for District Attorney are in a year." Joe pointed out, and Tucker rose a brow in confusion.

"So? You—"

"Will not be standing for re-election," Joe continued before Tucker could protest, "I got offered judgeship and I'm going to take it."

"Joe.. Congra—" Tucker was cut off by Joe waving his hand dismissively.

"Save the celebrations for later," Joe shook his head, "My point here is that I cannot think of anyone else more qualified and deserving than you for the position. If Kaufman goes down, there will be consequences for Callum and for you too."

"If I'm affiliated with the Kaufman family then that will hamper my chances of being the DA." Tucker looked down, everything finally making sense to him now.