Chapter Forty-Seven

...

The next day, Hawks let Midnight know where you going to be as you got ready. Just as you finished, there was a knock at your door. You opened it. Rei was on the other side. "Are you ready to go?" You nodded. "Yeah. I'm going to be leaving soon." You headed downstairs and paused when you saw Shoto, Natsuo, and Fuyumi on the couch. You turned to Rei.

Note: At this point, Fuyumi also knows that Dabi is Touya and has met the twins.

"What are they doing here, Rei?" Rei looked away from you. "I...I told them about your plan. And we all decided that we also need to put an end to things." You sighed. "Alright. We need to get going." Hawks handed you a note. "Just give them this paper and tell them I sent you. I'll keep an eye on the twins." You nodded and left the house with the small group behind you. You all hopped in the van and drove to Tartarus. The drive was tense and silent. Once you arrived, you showed the guards the paper and the guard escorted them to a visitation room. The room was split by a quirk-proof glass wall with a table connected to both sides. You all took a seat and waited. After a few minutes, the door opened and Endeavor stepped into the other side of the room. You activated your quirk, feeling the anger radiating off of Shoto and Natsuo. Endeavor spoke, seemingly unbothered. "What business do you have with me?"

You scoffed. "I'm not here for you. I'm here to tell you. I have a lot of things to say to you, but you aren't worth the effort. I hope you will realize the consequences of your actions and when you do...don't say anything. No one wants to hear an empty apology. You'll be here for life, so you have plenty of time to think of a worthy apology." You went quiet and listened as the Todoroki's began to speak. Rei's voice broke the silence. "You...You've been a terrible person and the pain, the trauma you have inflicted on our children is burned permanently in each of their minds-" Rei paused to collect herself. You switched your focus to Rei, using your quirk to calm her. Rei continued. "But I...I have been an equally terrible person." Natsuo went to speak, but Fuyumi rested her hand on his shoulder. He fell silent. Rei took a deep breath. "I could not protect them from you and in turn, I could not protect them from myself. From my breaking mind. I caused Shoto's pain and pushed my emotions onto Fuyumi and Natsuo. I let Touya suffer in silence. I...I..." Rei turned to her kids, her eyes glossy and a shaky smile on her lips.

A single tear rolled down her cheek as she stuttered over her words. "I am sorry for not being the mother I needed to be. I am sorry I wasn't there to watch you grow, Shoto, Natsuo. Fuyumi...I'm sorry I left you to piece everything back together for me. And Touya...My darling boy...I need him to know that I'm sorry for neglecting him and letting him suffer alone." Natsuo, Fuyumi, and Shoto stared at Rei with unreadable expressions. You used your quirk to read each of them and found strong feelings of sadness and...forgiveness. Fuyumi spoke first. "Mother..." Natsuo was next. "Mom..." Shoto was the first to rest his head on his mother's shoulder. She ran her fingers through his hair as he quietly began to cry. After a few minutes, she lifted his head. She wiped his tears and gently kissed his scar. "My son...my baby boy..." Rei turned back to Endeavor, tears now freely flowing down her cheeks. "I've said my piece and now, I can finally let go of that weight and return it back to where it came from. I wish you well, Enji."

Rei stood and exited the visitation room. Fuyumi spoke up next. "I realize now, that I should not have had to carry this family. You should have been the one to reassure us and raise us after mother was put in the hospital. I tried to keep us together because I had hoped that we could all be happy, but I was wrong. Trying to keep the family together only caused more pain than happiness." Fuyumi took a deep breath and looked up at Endeavor. "I've already forgiven you for the things you have put me through, but it is not my place to forgive you for the things that my brothers have suffered through. That is up to them. So, I hope that you make peace with whatever thing you're wrestling. Goodbye." Fuyumi left the room. Natsuo and Shoto looked at each other for a moment before Natsuo spoke up. You felt the anger radiating off of him.

Natsuo frowned. "I can never forgive you. You've caused us all so much pain. Shoto and Touya can never forget. Their scars will always be a reminder of the man who defiled their childhoods for his own delusional dreams. Mom may have burned Shoto, but you were the indirect cause of it all." Endeavor finally spoke. "Your mother burned Shoto out of her own free will." Natsuo spoke. "You might as well of been holding her hand! She even said that she couldn't look at Shoto and I without seeing you! She burned him because she couldn't stand the thought that one of her sons might end up like you!" He snapped. "But the good thing is...none of us ended up like you! Touya, he's been given the chance to take over your agency and rename it. Shoto has two loving partners that he treats like royalty and he's interning with Touya. And I'm getting my medical degree. I helped bring Touya's sons into the world and all you thought about when you saw them was another child to ruin." Natsuo's shoulders slumped. "Like mom said, I'm returning this weight to where it came from so I can move on from this. Goodbye."

Natsuo got up and left the room. Shoto hesitantly spoke, trying to think clearly. "...I cannot forgive you either. Not entirely, at least. You were supposed to be my father, but instead, you became my tormentor. I sincerely hope you come to terms with everything you've done. You've made all the wrong choices, but you'll have a lot of time to think about it. I...I'm no longer your experiment." You were finally the only person left in the room. You looked at Endeavor. His head was bowed and his shoulders were shaking slightly. "Now their weight has been given back to you. And you'll carry it until the day you die. Goodbye."

The ride back to the house was not as tense and there was occasional small talk. You used your quirk to make them all feel calm. Once you all arrived, you all sit on the sofa and turn on a movie. You headed upstairs and into your room, where you found Hawks putting the twins down for a nap. After he made sure they were asleep, he took you out of the room. "Eraser called me earlier. He was able to schedule a dress fitting for at that wedding shop you really liked." You nodded. "Thanks for letting me know. I'll call him." You headed into the bedroom and laid on the bed. Using your quirk for that long had tired you out a lot. But you were excited to go dress shopping for the wedding. A wedding that was only a month away...

'Ican't wait...'