Chapter Twenty-Nine

...

The next day, you stood down in the bar with Dabi and the rest of the league. Everyone watched as Kurogiri opened the portal to the empty hospital room. You, Dabi, and Shoto stepped through, the portal closing behind the three of you. Dabi approaches the vase on the table and takes the old flowers out, replacing them with a bouquet of carnations and purple hyacinths. You all sit and wait for Rei to return. 10 minutes later, the door opened and a white-haired woman stepped inside. She didn't speak. Shoto stood to greet her. "Mother...I've brought Touya. Just like you wanted." Rei approached Dabi. She looked up at him, holding a hand over her mouth. Her other hand reached up and caressed his face. Her hand dropped from her mouth as a sob escaped. She buried her face in his chest, hugging him. The two shared a long hug. You and Shoto watched from the side. Rei pulled away from the hug and looked at you. "Touya, who is she?" Dabi brought Rei over to you. "Mom, this is (Y/n). My partner. Her and Shoto convinced me to see you." Rei noticed your stomach and a slight smile made its way onto her lips. She looked at you. "I never thought I'd see the day my son has a child. Are they a kicker like their father?" You looked down. "..."

Dabi spoke up. "Mom...that's part of the reason why we're here..." Rei's smile dropped. "Oh Touya...are they-" Dabi cut her off. "Yes. We lost them two days ago." Rei tilted her head. "Them?" Dabi nodded. "Twins. Both boys." Rei brought you into a gentle hug. "Oh sweetheart...I'm so sorry. I know it hurts. I was like you once." You pulled away from the hug. "What do you mean?" Rei looked over at Shoto. "I was four and half months along when I...when I almost lost Shoto." Rei caressed Shoto's face, slightly smiling. She looked back at you. "My now ex-husband shoved me aside that night in a fit of anger. I remember the blood streaming down my legs and the looks of fear on everyone's faces. Shoto was very lucky. If I hadn't shielded my stomach with my arm, he would've gotten hit where his head was." You swallowed the lump in your throat. "You certainly were lucky..." Rei rested a hand on your shoulder. "What happened to you had nothing to do with luck, dear. I don't want either of you to blame yourselves for this. Maybe you just weren't meant to have them now. Fate may have other plans for you two." An unreadable expression settled on Dabi's face. "They were my sons...and I didn't even get to meet them!" Rei turned to Dabi, placing both her hands on his shoulders. "Touya...I know you are hurting, but you need to understand that there was nothing you could've done to change what happened."

You spoke up. "She's right, Dabi. I...I understand that now. We can grieve, but we have to keep going. Maybe...we can try again someday." Dabi nodded silently and turned his attention back to Rei. "It was nice to see you, mom. We have to go, but we'll try to see you again soon." Rei smiled. "Of course. I'll be waiting." Rei kissed Shoto and Dabi on their foreheads and hugged you. Dabi called Kurogiri and the portal appeared. The three of you waved at Rei and stepped through, the portal closing behind the three of you. Toga greeted you. "Welcome back..." Kurogiri gestured to the table. "Lunch is on the table for you." Everyone watched in shock as you and Dabi sat at the table and ate. The rest of the league had tried to get you two to eat for days, but you both refused. Things were looking up it seemed.

...

It had been a few hours later when you got off the phone with the doctor. You turned to Dabi, but didn't speak. He looked at you. "What did they say?" You sighed and looked up at him. "They scheduled me for tomorrow morning." Dabi nodded. "Alright. I'm going with you." The two of you fell into an uneasy sleep. Dabi held your stomach, cherishing the last time he'd be able to hold his children.

...

The next morning, the two of you found yourselves sitting in the hospital waiting room, the silence feeling suffocating. 20 minutes later, a doctor entered the room. "Ms. Aizawa?" The two of you approached the doctor. He looked up from his clipboard. "We have a room ready for you. Once you get into your scrubs, we'll give you a moment and then take you back for the operation." You sighed. "Of course." The doctor turned to Dabi. "You can wait in her private room." The two of you go into the room and Dabi helps you get the scrubs on. When your shirt comes off, he kneels in front of you, placing his forehead on your stomach for a few seconds before standing back up. You finished getting the scrubs on and laid in the hospital bed. "Don't worry, Dabi. Everything will be alright." Dabi leaned down and kissed your forehead. "I know." 10 minutes later, the doctor and a team of nurses arrived. They pushed your bed into the operating room. You watched as one of the nurses did an ultrasound on your stomach. The nurse spoke. "I'm sorry. We just have to ensure that the body's conditions haven't changed." The nurse moved the wand, checking various spots. Suddenly, the nurse stopped. The nurse looked at the screen and then moved the wand again. You watched as the nurse quickly rushed over to the doctor and whispered something to him.

The doctor walked over and moved the wand over your stomach himself. He nodded to the nurse and they took the gel off your stomach. You looked at the doctor, confused. "What's going on?" The doctor pressed a button on the panel under the monitor. "Listen to this please." The doctor played the sound recorded from the ultrasound. On the screen, each sound was labeled. Your own heartbeat was labeled first, then, two other sounds appeared.

Two fetal heartbeats...