Chapter Eight

It all started with a note.

The next they were hightailing across the damn state, all the way back to where their deep dark mess of secrets and lies had started. There was no time to stop and question why Ellie had gone back; there was no need. They already knew. The poor girl was simply looking for answers that everyone else had refused to give her.

The closer they got; the worse their fear became. The dread pulling tighter up the throat like a noose around the neck. It was like riding towards their own execution for the terrible crime they'd committed, of robbing the whole world of something they didn't believe they even deserved. Because they didn't. Not at the expense of Ellie's life.

Even now after everything; Joel and Adaline would always agree on that.

When they finally made it to the outskirts of the hospital; Ellie was sitting alone. The pair barely bother to halt their horses before dismounting and rushing to their daughter's side. Joel quickly pulling her into a hug.

"The hell were you thinkin'? Joel uttered. Taking the words right out of Ada's mouth as she moved to join the two. "Running off in the middle of the night like that...you talk to us." He continued. "You don't just leave a goddamn note-" He didn't get to finish as Ellie pushed him away.

And Ada knew this was it. Their time had run out and now there was no going back.

The teenager paced on unsteady feet; her hands fidgeting with her jacket sleeves before finally getting too frustrated and just pushing them back up passed her elbows. It was a common habit Ellie had picked up as she'd gotten older; they'd both noticed. Whenever Ellie was stressed, uncomfortable, nervous or upset; she would fidget with her hands. Whether it was pulling on jacket sleeves, picking at her nails or just absentmindedly running her fingertips across the now hidden bite mark on her arm. Just as Joel did with his watch. It was always fascinating to Ada how much Ellie could be like Joel without even realising it.

Over the years; the girl had picked up a lot of the man's mannerisms. Like father, like daughter she supposed. Unfortunately that also meant she had Joel's temper. And it was certainly a force to be reckoned with.

The girl continued pacing, almost not daring to look back at her parents. Her mind racing a mile a minute as she contemplated what to say. How to string her words together. The endless list of questions that plagued her for years.

'What happened to the Fireflies?'

'Why had Ada and Joel lied about it for so long?'

'Was Marlene dead?' Ellie had a bad feeling she already knew the answer to that one; it had always been an assumption she sort of accepted, considering how loyal the leader had been to her cause. If she had threatened the young girl in any way in order to get her cure; Ellie knew for a fact her mom wouldn't hesitate to cut her down. Or maybe Joel had killed her; it didn't really matter now. The Fireflies were gone and so was their precious cure.

She just needed to know why. Looking back at the rotting ruins of the Hospital; Ellie finally settled on her words before turning to face her family.

"Tell me...what happened here." She started with a shaken breath. Resisting the urge to pull her sleeves again as hands began to tremble once more. "If you lie to me one more time, I'm gone. You will never see me again." She took a breath and it caught in her throat. The air thick and tense, Joel and Ada staring blankly at her with sad eyes.

"But if you tell me the truth, I'll go back to Jackson." She promised. "No matter what it is." It was at that point as her parents shared a look; that Ellie realised she had no idea just what she was promising.