Eventually they wound their way back to Brad's office where he pulled out a mentoring packet. After skimming through it, Gia looked up and winced. "It asks for a commitment of one year, but I've only got eleven months left at my current job."

     Brad nodded and rubbed his chin. "If all of your paperwork checks out, I'd say we could make an exception. That's awfully close. And of course, you could keep in touch after the eleven months by phone. But either way, don't worry about it." He gave her a relaxed smile.

     "Okay then." She smiled back, and her eyes shifted from his to a picture on the wall behind him. "Mr. Bellanti participates in this program?"

     Brad smirked and looked back at the picture that had caught her eye. Turning back to her, he commented, "He more than participates, he's the founder of the program. That was taken at the opening of this location a little over two years ago, but he started The whole thing with the Vanderbilt location. Then the West Side location opened two years later, and a Chinatown location is in the works. Nick's a great guy, and has give a good deal of his own money towards the program too, as well as helped raised funds for it. Do you know him?"

     Evie chuckled. "Know him? He's her internship mentor at Morgan Stanley."

     Brad looked impressed, and crossed his arms. "So, you're into finance too? He's certainly the one to learn from. He's apparently done very well for himself for someone only a couple of years older than me. So, any questions?"

     "I can't think of any, but I'll look it over and try to make a decision by Monday. Would that work?" Gia asked.

     "Sure. The sooner the better, so we can do a background check and get you matched up. You can fax the papers over to save a trip." Brad stood up from his desk to escort the ladies back out, and with a handshake and a wink, they were on their way back to the apartment.

~~~

     By Sunday night, Gia had decided to do the mentoring program, and arrived at work early Monday to get the papers faxed to the Y. Minutes later, she entered Mr. Bellanti's office ready for their morning meeting feeling satisfied with her decision. It might take a lot out of her emotionally, but it would force her to push past her own pain, and use it for the benefit of someone else.

     "You seem particularly happy this morning," Mr. Bellanti commented.

     "I am." Gia smiled at him, but hesitated to say why, so as not to take up their meeting time. Then she remembered that he was the one who founded the program, and decided maybe he would like to know. "I just signed up for the Forever Friends program."

     Mr. Bellanti's brow furrowed. "Oh, that's great. They're always looking for new mentors." The look on his face didn't agree with his words.

     "I thought you would be happier, since you're the founder of the program."

     His jaw tensed and he looked flustered. "I... uh, try not to make a big deal of that, but I am truly glad you're participating." He shrugged, and shuffled some papers on his desk.

     "It's kind of personal for me," Gia explained. She squeezed her eyes shut, before adding softly, "My parents died in a car crash ten years ago, and I ended up living with my grandfather. I often wonder what would have happened if I didn't have him." Once again she felt drawn to share personal details with him.

     Mr. Bellanti's eyes flickered with emotion, while he watched her. "Did you go to live with him right after their death?"

     Gia stared at him, feeling like she had been punched in the gut, as a flood of emotions rushed through her. Her eyes fell down to her hands as she squeezed and released them, then she slowly shook her head. "I lived with my aunt and her... husband for about six months before moving in with my grandfather."