She looked at him suspiciously. "I guess I am, in a way." Like hell! "But it would be dumb not to graduate first."

"Who says I won't fail?" he said his brows furrowing.

"I'm sure you won't." She gave him a bright smile that was worthy of Paulette. "Now can we dance and forget all this serious stuff for one night?"

"Sure babe," he said pulling her into his arms. "No problem."

~~~

Michael stood at the edge of the dance hall, keeping himself aloof from the action. He could see Stephanie on the other side of the room, keeping herself equally aloof. Now and again a guy would approach her but she swatted them away as if they were annoying flies. He couldn't help wondering why she was there, she was beautifully made up but she wasn't joining in. Apart from exchanging the odd word with the pink ladies, she was all alone.

Go talk to her, now's your chance.

He made his way across the dance floor making a beeline for the drinks station. That put him in Stephanie's vicinity but she'd probably think he was just getting a drink. He took his time deliberating between orange and blackcurrant juice while keeping a surreptitious eye on her. She was here alone, no way would any guy stand her up but he was reluctant to approach her. He'd been practising on his bike, putting in more hours than he had with his schoolwork, and he was beginning to reap the benefits. He couldn't wait to show off to her, to show her there was more to him than just fancy words that would impress Miss Mason.

"Hey, Michael."

He jumped away from the table as Sharon Cooper approached, Dimucci behind her.

"Hi," he said regaining his composure. "Having fun?"

"Yeah, I guess we are." She nudged Louis with her elbow. "Are you going to top our drinks up?"

Louis grinned reaching inside his jacket. "Your wish is my command."

Sharon giggled before turning back to Michael. "Are you here with one of the twins? I'm sorry but I forget which is which."

"So do I," he admitted smiling. "So I'll never go out with either of them. I mean how would I know who I was with? They could switch mid-date."

Sharon laughed slightly too long, throwing her head back. "You're too funny. I never realised that before, you're a man of many hidden talents."

"What was that?" Louis asked glowering as he handed Sharon her drink.

"Nothing, Lou," Sharon said shaking her head and smiling up at him.

"If you say so," he said catching Michael's eye. "Hey English, I didn't think this would be your sort of thing."

Michael shrugged. "I could say the same about you. This seems decidedly not cool for a T bird to attend."

"You have a point," Louis said drawing out his words as he snaked his arm around Sharon's waist. "You wanna dance again? I know how much you love Elvis."

"You've got that right," Sharon said draining her drink. "I'll see you later Michael."

Michale watched them make their way onto the dance floor thinking that Sharon was very much a good girl, despite the hard pink lady exterior. And Louis was very much a good girl's version of a bad boy, not much of a bad boy at all. The T birds were frauds, they had the leather jackets and motorcycles but scratch below the surface and they were no tougher than anyone else.

If you can't beat them join them.

"Hey, Michael," Frenchy called making her way over to him, her boyfriend following a step behind. Great, another T bird, old school style.

"Hi," Michael said trying to recall the name of her boyfriend. "I wasn't expecting to see you here."

"No, it's not really my thing but I got to thinking." Frenchy blushed, patting her hair self consciously. "I missed a lot of this stuff in high school."

"Cos she dropped out," her boyfriend said smirking.

"Knock it off, Doody." Frenchy gave him a stern look before turning back to Michael. "Yes, I dropped out to go to beauty school. I didn't drop out, drop out. I had other plans."

"Which involved turning your hair pink," Doody said, fake coughing.

Frenchy elbowed him. "That was not the plan, that's the point. When my hair turned pink...oh haha, you think you're so funny, Antony?"

"I'm just sticking to the facts, French."

"Well, what about the fact that you exposed yourself on live TV?"

Michael raised his eyebrows questioningly and Frenchy blushed.

"Doody and his friends flashed their butts on National Bandstand," she whispered and Michael held back a smile. "They were lucky not to get arrested."

"Viewing figures went up afterwards though," Doody retorted.

Michael tuned them out as they playfully bickered beside him. However, their anecdote did confirm one thing to him. Girls like arseholes. Correction, girls like assholes.

~~~

Thank you for reading, if you've enjoyed this chapter please vote/comment.