can't handle change

Start from the beginning

Akaashi sighs and holds onto his forehead, resting his elbow on the counter in front of him. He feels pretty bad about it, but he knew, ultimately, Bokuto wouldn't be very open to convincing.

He shuts his eyes, before taking another breath and holding it for a little bit.

"Okay. I'll let him do what he wants. But it still sucks."

"Ah, it's not all bad. He enjoys racing! It's not like you're making him do this, right?"

Akaashi hums, hoping Kuroo would take it as a form of agreement over anything else. He listens to Kuroo tell him about Bokuto's victory as he passes right in front of him after the last lap, rather than seeing it in person, like he should have, his voice loud on the other end he might as well have it on speakerphone.

He definitely could have gone tonight. Konoha was very lenient, despite being scary at times. Akaashi could have gone, instead of sitting in an empty flower shop selling bouquets to nobody.

"I gotta go tell him—oh."

Akaashi's eyebrows come together as Kuroo is quiet, hearing no indication of Bokuto near him. He would usually come and talk to him, smile and speak with that same loud excitement. The hope to hear it dies out quickly and Akaashi was just as disheartened in its absence.

"He's leaving..."

"Did you tell him you were coming? Maybe he didn't see you."

"I texted him that I would come to see him. What the fuck..."

Akaashi doesn't know what to say. He's only ever known Bokuto as a ball of energy that seemed to never get tired, a spark of light that burned bright and loud that never extinguished.

That flame has been growing dimmer recently, and it hurt Akaashi to see that Kuroo was noticing too.

"Well, whatever! I'm going back home with Kenma, then. Maybe you should check on him. Hinata is supposed to be coming over later to talk about his sponsorship, but they should be gone by the time you come home. I'll go get us dinner by then!"

Akaashi's heart beat in apprehension as Kuroo ended the call, leaving him with his contact screen to look at instead of the cherrywood. He swallows, before calling Bokuto and pressing the phone to his ear.

The phone rings once, then twice.

He doesn't pick up.

Akaashi calls him one more time, except the phone rings all the way to voicemail, and Akaashi wishes he didn't have to hear his voice for the first time today through that prerecorded message.

What was going on?

He bites the inside of his bottom lip and thinks, trying to ignore the way his body felt ill as he thinks of the worst-case scenarios that could be happening. His shaking fingers type out a message to him anyway.

koutarou?

are you okay?

please call me when you're not busy. i need to talk to you.

kou: im sorry keiji

kou: i dont really want to talk

whats been going on?

you can tell me anything

kou: i said i didn't want to talk