Prologue

*Pop*

*Pop*

*Pop*

The sound of popcorn kernels came from inside a big house, the kind in which most people dreamed of growing up in— standing secluded among a long row of trees, surrounded by a massive garden at either side of it.

The closest neighbours were five minutes away by car on all sides so they never had the problem of overly loud noises, save for the occasional barking of faraway dogs that broke the silence of the night.

The pale, crescent moon basked the Becker's residence in silvery light.

Inside stood a girl, home alone. She couldn't be older than 16 or 17 with her short-cut blonde hair and pale skin, coupled with a friendly face and innocent eyes.

The smell of melting butter was making Casey's stomach rumble.

With a groan, Casey strud over to the corded telephone that was now ringing against one of the milky white walls, reaching her hand out for it to bring the reciever up to the side of her face. "Hello?"

"Hello."

Her brows knitted together, not recognizing the clearly masculine voice that sounded somewhat raspy and unnaturally deep. "Yes?"

"Who is this?" The stranger inquired.

"Who are you trying to reach?"

"I don't know."

"I think you have the wrong number," Casey said disinterestedly as her eyes mindlessly wandered over to the television screen.

"Do I?"

"It happens," she shrugged, brushing him off. "Take it easy."

*Click*

After hanging up, Casey made her way into the direction of the kitchen, only to have her ears pick up on the phone going off for a second time.

Grabbing the portable, she greeted the caller tiredly with a flip of the hair. "Yea? Who's this?"

"I'm sorry. I guess I dialed the wrong number."

It was the same stranger from before.

The girl looked confused as to why he would hit the same number again. "So why did you call it again?"

There was a pause where the only thing she could make out was the distinct sound of fabric moving, before the deep and gravelly voice interrupted her thoughts. "To apologize."

"You're forgiven," she muttered dismissively. "Bye now."

"Wait, wait! Don't hang up."

Casey stood in front of one of the large sliding glass doors that lead outside to the garden, staring out into the nothingness of the night.