Distracting Distractions

// major drinking mention/involvement.

The quick song in this is "The Most Beautiful Thing" by Bruno Major: https://youtu.be/1nml-_YE2OU

———————————————

It's been two days.

Two days since Raine Whispers gave Eda their phone number. Call them crazy but ever since that day, they almost couldn't take their hands off of the device even if they wanted to. It was like their handcuffed to it 24/7. Waiting.

Waiting for what exactly? Ha! Even Raine tries to deny the question to themself. Not even wanting to admit that they're patiently waiting for a call or a text message from a certain someone. A certain someone who has been running on their mind all day once they found out that she came back into their life, living in the same state that they're in.

To be honest, how could Raine not think about it? Life for them was just a moderate river, endlessly going with the flow, and then suddenly it becomes one hell of a rollercoaster ride with the steepest ups and downs upon pulling up surprises like these.

It's...amazing in a sense. Could you imagine, after two years of having a new fresh start from all the wrongs and mistakes in the past letting fate itself bring someone from it? And reunite the same people who have changed after? It's incredible.

"Mx. Raine!" Katya called out from the distance, inviting herself inside their private space while holding two woodwind instruments in her hands with a curious look. "Say, what do you think is the easiest instrument to learn? Is it the saxophone?" she lifted the instrument from her right hand in the air. "Or the clarinet?", the left hand repeated the same action, making Raine look up at one of the options, briefly escaping their attention from the phone in their hand.

"It depends. In my opinion though, Saxophone's much easier. But it's better to learn the clarinet so you could already sort out the techniques for playing other woodwind instruments for later." Raine looked back to the screen again after they explained their answer professionally.

"Try to learn both. The more the merrier after all." they smiled at the teen for the encouragement which made Katya successfully enthusiastic about the challenge. She excitedly left Raine's office without saying another word, presumably taking their advice in mind.

———————————————

Raine had arrived early back at their condominium after teaching, wearing an oversized black t-shirt with knee-length shorts that served as their usual home attire with legs lazily resting on the arm of the couch as the television screen was showing a bunch of commercials about products that one could already memorize the lines of.

Fingers softly tapped the screen, staring at a professional shot of their violin with a non-binary flag sticker on it. The photo itself complimented Raine fully as a person so it was a worthy pick to make it their wallpaper.

Okay fine. They may or may not have been waiting for Eda's response for the past forty-five hours now. Why was that the case? Well, it's certainly not because they wanted her attention that Raine has been lacking for the past few years. Not that.

Raine furrowed their eyebrows, feeling determined. Of course, that's not the case at all. They just wanted to help Eda's problems just like she did for the past few days. Eda was a good person. She always has been and that was a fact. It wasn't like Raine gave their phone number to her in the first place, hoping that they both...reconnect in that way somehow.

I just want to be a good friend.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

They waited for a few hours, hoping for a sudden notification from an unknown number at least that will likely connect to Eda. Raine could've waited a bit more but sleep had already taken over like a blanket, leaving them dozing off on the couch with the television still running in the background.