𝐟𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐨𝐫𝐧

The forest almost seemed to close off as soon as you took a mere couple of steps into it. Everything darkened, the sun becoming nothing more than a pleasant dream and the shadows the only authority.

The wind carried whispers that seemed to dance amongst each other - making everything in the forest seem very, very alive. By Legolas's side, your eyes couldn't keep still, scanning everything for enemies and danger, seeing as the place was easy to set up an ambush in.

"This forest is old," Legolas marvelled. "Very old."

"There's a wisdom in the air, isn't there?" you said, almost reaching to touch a tree, but retracting your hand when the mystery hanging in the atmosphere of Fangorn suddenly feeling ... dangerous.

You turned around, to see Gimli holding his axe at the ready.

"Gimli!" Aragorn hissed, apparently sharing thoughts with you. "Lower your weapon."

"You would do best not to cut these trees down," Legolas added. He seemed so happy in this dark, ominous place, as he always was when surrounded by pure, untamed nature. "They are the Ents of old. They have feelings, as we do."

The Dwarf lowered his weapon, to your great relief, and the forest calmed. You could not help but smile now - all your fear when you first saw the infamous mess of trees had disappeared. It seemed almost playful, and it was certainly beautiful.

It was a fine place to wander for hours, as you ended up doing, bending to the ground occasionally to find the trail of tracks once again. Even more darkness fell as time went on, and soon not even the faint memory of sunshine shone through the forest's canopy.

"Shit," Aragorn cursed, almost tripping over a tree root as he ran his gloved fingers over some tracks. "The trail's gone cold. There's something else at play here - we won't find Merry and Pippin tonight."

You nodded in agreement. "Besides, I think we're all tired."

"I'm no-"

"You don't count, Legolas," you said, elbowing him playfully. "You're an Elf."

Something strange danced across his eyes at your last sentence - a flash of an emotion, there and gone in a second. You tilted your head to the side, knowing he could understand your unspoken question. He lifted his chin slightly, his silent way of telling you that you could talk later. You rolled your eyes, but still gave him a small, heartfelt smile, moving to help make a fire.

- - -

Mist almost shrouded the crackling flames at the centre of the small camp from your view. Indeed, the Entwood took on an entirely different personality when it was dark, reverting to ominous once more.

Aragorn was staring into the fire that reflected in his glassy eyes with an unreadable expression. You could tell that it was little more than a mask, though - something worried your brother.

Gimli cleaned his axe, making sure that the action wasn't hostile. The last thing any of you wanted was an entire forest of pissed-off Ents.

You leant against Legolas, debating whether or not to ask him about his recent strange looks. They shouldn't have bothered you, but they did - some insecure part of you whispering that it was about unhappiness with you.

Shut up, you told yourself. You don't know that.

Legolas's hand moved to cup your head as you leant against his chest. You were very close to him, in a relaxed embrace that brought comfort and warmth. You could hear him singing quietly under his breath again - a beautiful lullaby that had you struggling against the pull of sleep.

"Come on, take a rest, melleth nin," he hummed, the words somehow completely in sync and tune with his song. "It's been a long day."

You sat up. "You've been looking after me the entire journey. You should sleep. I can take first watch - that's fine by me."

Legolas nodded quietly, and you switched positions so that his head lay in your lap and you ran your fingers through his soft hair. Elves didn't close their eyes to sleep, you knew that, but you could tell that he was now dreaming, his eyes vacant and a tiny smile curling across his lips. You kissed his temple softly, leaning back against the tree and watching the shadows around you.

A twig snapped, and you bolted to your feet, Legolas awakening with the sudden movement. It was definitely not some forest animal - you could just sense it.

"Sorry," you whispered. "But grab your bow. Someone is here."

Aragorn had also heard the noise, and he shook Gimli until the Dwarf had readied his axe.

"Come on," you pointed, pulling first one, then your other sword from their respective sheathes. "This way."

The four of you left the camp, quickly seeking out the source of the sound. You could see Legolas's eyes out of the corner of your own, the blue darting around as he scanned the surroundings rapidly. He was feeling the fletching of one of his arrows, and you knew if any threat arose he would kill it in an instant.

Your sharp hearing picked up a noise, and you instantly turned towards it, spinning your swords as a bright light began to shine from where there had been nothing before. Legolas shot towards it, but the arrow hit nothing but the tree behind its target.

This was no ordinary enemy. This was magic.

"Halt!" the light called, and suddenly it faded, your eyes adjusting rapidly to the familiar darkness. "Do you no longer recognise friend from foe?"

You shielded your eyes, and at first saw Saruman. But this man was kindlier than the Lord of Isengard, with a mischievous twinkle and far more wisdom to him.

"It cannot be," you gasped, coming to the realisation of just who this was. "I beg your forgiveness for attacking you."

You dropped to one knee, and as the others, too, began to recognise him, they followed suit.

"Gandalf the Grey, you fell in Moria," Aragorn said cautiously. The reappearance of one of the most powerful members of the Fellowship did seem far too good to be true.

"Gandalf the Grey," the wizard repeated, as though the name was unfamiliar and detached. "Yes, that is who I once was. I did fall, you are correct, but Gandalf the Grey is no longer who I am. I am Gandalf the White now."

You slowly rose from where you'd knelt, sheathing your swords. "We're looking for Merry and Pippin."

The wizard stared into the distance, at something you couldn't see. "They are going another way - we can no longer help them. We'll meet again, later. For now, you should rest, for we leave for Rohan in the morning."

The five of you picked your way back to camp, relieved at the fire that was still there.

"Y/N," Gandalf said suddenly. "Come with me - I wish to speak with you."

You let your eyes flick to Legolas for a second, and Gandalf followed your eyeline.

"I suppose he should come too."

Legolas stared at you, confused, and you were sure identical emotion was reflected in your eyes. Finally, you shrugged and followed the wizard, though a wariness clawed at you. Something wasn't right here.

please continue to read, vote and comment !!