𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐭𝐬

The next morning, you didn't know whether Legolas had heard your conversation with Aragorn, but you recalled his words from that night in Lothlorien.

Y/N, I'll always stand by you. I promise. No matter where our ... relationship is at, I promise I will.

It was not fair to be dishonest with him. After all, he probably thought you were shunning him.

Well, you loved him more than anything.

"Y/N!"

You snapped out of your thoughts, turning blankly to Legolas. He was sitting in the boat already. "Sorry, what?"

"I said your name quite a few times," he said, his eyebrows scrunching together. "Are you alright?"

"Fine," you replied, shaking your head and accepting his hand into the boat. Today, Gimli was going with someone else - he said it was because he didn't want to put up with Legolas and his 'insufferable Elvishness', but the wink he directed you from the other boat told you a different story.

Legolas pushed off from the bank, and soon you continued down the river without event.

"You look tired," Legolas murmured as you turned to face him (two people per boat instead of three meant only one had to row). "This quest takes its toll on you."

You laughed, but it was humourless and dry. "At night, I cannot sleep without seeing my father's face. In the day, I worry for my people. I feel awful every time I think of how I'm abandoning them. You are right, Legolas - this quest has taken its toll."

"Oh, Y/N, please do not burden yourself like this," he said gently, sadness brimming in his starkly blue eyes. "You know that none of this is your fault. And no one here, nor in your lands, blames you for staying with us."

It was with tears in your eyes that you smiled at the Elven prince, but the tears did not need to fall now. Through everything, no matter whether you'd technically been fighting with him or not, no matter how many times you shoved him away (and regretted it for days after), Legolas was still by your side. And you loved him for that.

"Remember how you said you'd always stand by me?" you asked, the words just above a whisper. You were so frightened of ruining anything you might have with him. And Aragorn's words kept popping into your mind, though you tried to shove them away.

Legolas swallowed and nodded, his eyes occasionally darting from yours to your ... lips? You blushed at the thought.

"I ... I ..." you suddenly lost any words you could have said as you inched closer to him.

"What?" You were almost chest to chest with Legolas now, your crossed legs being the only thing keeping your distance now.

"I ..." you tried again, looking up at him, but finding your eyes also captivated by his lips. "Oh, fuck it."

"Fuck what?" Legolas had barely finished the question before you moved forwards and kissed him.

You tried to convey all your thankfulness and love for him in the one action, bringing on of your hands, gloved after they were rubbed raw by the oars yesterday, to brush against his cheek, shaking as you pulled back.

"I'm sorry," you gasped. "I- that was out of line."

"Did you not ... mean it?" there was such pain in the question you felt it too, and winced.

"No, I meant it," you rushed to assure him. "But I don't think distracting you from our quest will not end well. And, then there is the matter of you being an Elf, and I a human, and-"

"Y/N," Legolas interrupted kindly, a slight teasing note to his voice, though it was mostly comforting. "Please, don't worry. I am not distracted by you-" you had to raise an eyebrow at this, and he flushed all the way to the tips of his ears. "-well, I won't be any more distracted than before, and as for the Elf-human thing ..."

He trailed off, staring at you with a probing intensity and curiosity that at once frightened and interested you as you tilted your head to the side. "I think something about that will work itself out."

As he said that, though, he stopped his staring and just smiled at you. "But for now, I do not want to walk on eggshells around this relationship anymore. I want you, melleth nin."

You gasped, voice catching in your throat. "Melleth nin. Do you mean-"

"My love."

Those two words were all it took for you to fly towards him, colliding again, and kissing him like the world was ending (which, you supposed, it might).

You pulled away from him with a startled squeak as the boat crashed into something, and for the first time in a good ten minutes, you tore your eyes away from the beautiful ellon in front of you and looked around you.

The boat had strayed from the others, into some strong rip or current, and had just hit a rock on its way off a ...

"Oh, fucking hell," you moaned. "A waterfall?!"

You had to raise a middle finger at the sky. "Really, Valar?"

"Rhaich," Legolas muttered. "Grab an oar, come on!"

You both paddled, finally pushing away from it, but it seemed that the Valar really were in the mood to fuck with you today because, it was at that moment that one last strong ripple in the water finally sent your boat tipping over, and you fell into the water with a cry cut short as saltiness plunged through your lungs.

You couldn't see anything, but suddenly your sight adjusted, and you begin to hyperventilate, noticing your foot trapped beneath a heavy rock that was causing pain to rip through it. Attempting to scream, you forgot that you were underwater (you're a genius, Y/N, you thought to yourself) and more water rushed into your mouth gladly.

Suddenly, something kicked the rock away and seized you around the waist, pushing up to the surface powerfully.

You gasped, coughing as you broke through the surface of the water. Your agony was echoed more quietly by your saviour.

"Legolas!" He grinned his rare, lopsided smirk at you, gently releasing your waist as you stumbled towards the shallows, one hand on the boat to also guide it back. "Thank you."

"I couldn't just leave you to drown, could I?" he shrugged, his grin still not falling from his face. Then, for the first time, he pulled you towards him and connected your lips softly, and you could feel him smiling against you.

You broke apart when you heard Aragorn's frantic call. "Y/N! Legolas! Y/N! Where are you?"

"Right here," another voice answered him gruffly, and you turned to see Gimli at the shore whilst you still stood in the shadows. "She's making out with Legolas."

"She's what?!" Aragorn yelled, stumbling through the tree line and rushing towards you. "I saw your boat capsize and this whole time you've been making out with Legolas?!"

"Jealous?" you smirked.

"No," Aragorn flushed. "Shut up, Y/N. Just get back in the boat, and let's keep going."

As Legolas extended his hand to help you into the boat, you could not keep a foolish, lovesick grin off your face.

Finally.

please continue to read, vote and comment !!